road sign help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lizban

On my commute there is a junction that is two lanes.

The left lane is clearly marked with a left hand only turn arrow on the road. The road sign states very clearly left turn only. But underneath it says except buses.

Am I allowed to go straight on whilst on my bike from the left lane?

I'm guessing I'm not or there would be a sign saying except cyclists

(I always do as 50% of cars ignore it so it is safer for me (I've been caught too many times in between 2 lanes of traffic trying to squeeze to one for the bus lane. ))

tmcd35

My personal rule of thumb - when on the bike ride as if you were a bus. If it says 'buses only' that means cyclists as well. If a bus has to go into the right hand lane to clear the junction, then so do I.

Not sure if that's right but it works for me :biggrin:

I don't know about the legality but I would assume a cyclist could go straight in it on; for safety though it wouldn't be advisable being a left turn only for general traffic drivers quite rationally expect everything to be going left regardless of the signage and if you go straight that creates a conflict.You really should merge into the straight ahead lane further back from the junction. Post a google streetview of the junction and folk might be able to explain better :-)

RedBike

No, I don't think you are if it doesn't say except cyclist and buses.
However, I would personnely deliberately ignore any signs that put me in danger.

OP
OP
L

Lizban

If it says Bus Lane on the tarmac there will legally be a blue advise sign stating what vehicles can use the route/lane. This will provide you with more info and will be over the pavement on the left before you enter the restriction.

http://www.direct.go...t/dg_070560.pdf
(2 down and 2 across)

Using this link ^^^^^ 3 down 3 across is the sign that is there (albeit with only 2 lanes in total).

Don't recall seeing the blue sign DF mentions until after the junction (beginning of bus lane)

taxing

The only lane around my area that says 'buses only' and doesn't mention allowing bikes is definitely for buses only, because it turns into the bus station. Can you see an obvious reason why only buses would be allowed to go straight on?

Peter10

Not allowed. It would say "buses and cyclists only" we have a lot of signs like that around my area, "buses only," "buses and cyclist only," "and buses, motorcycles & cyclists only." Gets pretty confusing especially when all 3 are on the same road within 2 miles of each other.

dondare

Über Member
On my commute there is a junction which is left-turn only for all vehicles except buses. Straight ahead leads into a bus station.

Top Bottom