Road sign quiz

What does the sign below mean?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ohnovino

Large Member
This sign has appeared near some roadworks on a local road, and I'd be interested to see what people think it means. BTW, this isn't the real sign, I've had to mock one up with my awesome photoshop skills :tongue:

matthew

If that was a road ahead closed sign I would read it as the road on the right is closed. Therefore I would say the road on the right is closed. What is sure is that that sign does not appear in the Chapter 8 temporary traffic management regs.

Camgreen

Road closed to ALL vehicles ...... one, two, three, four (and beyond) wheeled variety ..... I would humbly suggest?

Unless of course there is additional information indicating exemptions e.g residents only or specifically stipulates restrictions.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Is the answer "well I am on my bike and will just bunny hop onto the pavement and carry on regardless ?"

I voted "road ahead closed turn right" otherwise surely if it was the road on the right that was closed then it should be that one with the road closed sign on. innit

benb

Evidence based cyclist
So what's the answer?

I would say it means the road on the right is closed. Presumably it's closed some way down and is difficult to turn around in, so they put the sign on the main road in an attempt to stop people turning right into the closed road in the first place.

If it were to mean road ahead closed, turn right, I would expect no arrow, and a separate yellow diversion sign.

Since it looks like someone has taken a "Road Closed Ahead" sign and altered it, that to me would suggest that it is not the road ahead that is closed (otherwise why alter it?) and rather that the side road to the right is closed, probably further down the road than is clearly visible

OP
OP
ohnovino

ohnovino

Large Member
The answer is don't turn right, that road is closed. Or to be more accurate, that's how it's being used in the specific case I saw. It's positioned at a traffic light controlled crossroads, and a high wall means you can't actually see the roadworks to the right.

I thought it was a crazy way of signing the closure. Arrows are normally used to direct traffic rather than to point out where not to go. If they want to tell people not to turn right, surely they should use something like a right-turn arrow with a line through it? Or just write "no right turn" on a big sign.

The first time I saw it I thought it was a little confusing, but wasn't sure if it was me being daft. Today I saw a car slam on the brakes in the middle of the junction, as if he couldn't work out what he was supposed to do.

crazy580

One of these:
Road_Closed_Sign.jpg

Combined with one of these:

No-right-turn.gif

Would make things a lot clearer

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I disagree - "ahead" in the sign makes me think I can't go straight on or right.

If it just said "Road Closed" and the no right turn sign, that would be better.

One of these:
Road_Closed_Sign.jpg

Combined with one of these:

No-right-turn.gif

Would make things a lot clearer

ferret fur

You get those black arrows quite a lot & they always mean that they they are pointing to the hazard or obstruction. You normally see them when temporary traffic lights are sited on a side turning.

Top Bottom