Road specific training - Any help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanPrice

Im after some help and guidance as to what type of specific training i should be doing.

I want to train to aid my general bike fitness, aid weight loss/tone up a little, and to hopefully go on to race.

Aswell as the road (obviously), i have access to powerplates (mum has one), and a gym if necessary.

I can usually fit in 3-4 rides a week.

How many miles should i be doing? Ive started to do 30 second sprints every 5-6 minutes on one of my rides, as a kind of interval session, recommended/not recommended?

Does anyone use powerplates? If so what type of exercises do you do on them?

I was thinking about going along the lines of core exercises, squats/1 legged squats, press ups for general upper body strength.

Any other ideas/help/guidance/know how is greatly appreciated?

Many thanks in advance

jimboalee

Bristol eh....

Go across the Severn to Chepstow to warm up. Ride to Monmouth at a fastish pace.
Then ride to Cinderford as fast as you can.
Come round to Stroud via Gloucester and then ride to Bath and then back home along the Cycle way to cool down.

Job's a goodun.

roadjunkie

Stretching is important after weight training and especially after riding. I do a little routine, only a couple of minutes to stretch calfs/hamstrings/quads/hips and your ITBs. I also do a back stretch - get in a pressup position, fully extend your arms and look up to the ceiling. Instructors at your local gym should be able to show you...Not sure about upper body. Some stomach crunches would be ok I guess...if your serious about getting into races you dont want to be putting on any weight on upper body!

Top Bottom