Road to Tourmalet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sparky1969

Does anyone know what the road is like from Lourdes to the Col du Tourmalet? Hilly? Will i be knackered before i even get there? I know its about 20 miles.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
you can have a look on Google - Streetview allows you to do a virtual cycle ride along the road, from the comfort of your own home :laugh:

[You have probably come across this before, but just in case you haven't, just drag the little orange man to a position on the map, all the roads with blue highlighted lines have been photographed.]

Hope this helps

Edit: just had a look myself, some of the google photo route south of Lourdes goes along a dual carriageway D road, which wouldn't be a good place to be on a bike. There are other wee roads in parallel, but you should get a general idea of the lay of the land around there.

T

nmcgann

Veteran
I don't know the bit from Lourdes to Argeles-Gazost, but from Argeles onward it goes up the Gorge de Luz and it's only a very slight upward gradient. Take it easy and you'll be just fine.

Of course, when you get to Luz St Sauveur the easy ride stops and it's turn left & game on :laugh:

PS: There's a cycle path callled the greenway (I think) that runs from Lourdes to Argeles. I haven't ridden it, but I think it's pretty much flat.

OP
OP
S

sparky1969

nmcgann said:
I don't know the bit from Lourdes to Argeles-Gazost, but from Argeles onward it goes up the Gorge de Luz and it's only a very slight upward gradient. Take it easy and you'll be just fine.

Of course, when you get to Luz St Sauveur the easy ride stops and it's turn left & game on :laugh:

PS: There's a cycle path callled the greenway (I think) that runs from Lourdes to Argeles. I haven't ridden it, but I think it's pretty much flat.
Cheers, my legs are burning just thinking about it!

Top Bottom