Road vs MTB/Summer vs Winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Such ramblings have probably been asked and considered before...:rolleyes: .

Anyway, how many of you out there ride both? Being a dedicated roadie at the moment I'm thinking of buying a trail bike and although I'm not intent on spending as much on the mtb, I'm wondering what other people's experiences of having both road and mtb bikes are? Is that the right question, yes, sort of. Do you use one in summer and the other in winter or are you just a tw0-wheeled fanatic of every type?

There's a number of reasons, the first being I'd just like to have a decent trail bike and ride some trails! Obviously. There are plenty around here to choose from. But another reason is that I have a winter vs summer bike dichotomy thing going on...

Given the tendency for rain even in 'summer', I'm wondering on the merits of keeping a road bike for the winter alone - it's slower, heavier and has a completely different geometry to my carbon which might lead to back problems come the spring like it did when I first changed over. Perhaps wait for that odd day in winter where conditions are better? Certainly better than some of the conditions I ended up riding in during the so-called summer.

I know, I know, you don't want to trash your Sunday best on salt and grit on the roads but then I wouldn't ride on the road in those conditions anyway, really I wouldn't. (The last time I rode when the gritting machines were out, my chain very nearly ended up ruined and it needed some serious and immediate TLC). So what are the other benefits of a winter bike? Don't really fancy sliding around in the mud on the road and mudguards could easily be fitted to my carbon. Am I playing devil's advocate? Up to a point, yes I am.

So, here's my train of thought. I'd take a rough guess that your average mtb might be better in the wet and mud so when the weather is bad, why not take the trail bike out for a spin? This might sound like blasphemy to a dedicated roadie but I'm just not sure how much adverse condition I can put up with on the roads beyond that which, albeit with a thorough clean afterwards, I wouldn't put the carbon or myself through anyway.

So how many others might apply a similar train of thought? Equally, how many people don't bother with a separate winter bike for the reasons above?

I probably do more trail riding in the winter months , whether that's to avoid having to play with the traffic in the dark wet evenings? Possibly. On the other hand trail riding with good lights is excellent fun, highly recommended!
If I have time during daylight hours it's more a matter of what mood I'm in and which cafe I propose to take tea and cake at......
Whichever bike I'm out on though is cleaned and lubed in't workshop that same evening, only takes half hour max.......

By the way, hows the pier holding up these days?

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Yep, the pier is as good as ever mate. Open 7 days a week and you can occasionally get the boat from the end down to Ilfracombe amongst other places.

THanks for the input.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Have ridden trails for a few years now, have only been a roadie for about 5 months now, the trails with family and freinds, the road on my own at the mo, looking to join a club shortley, my wife is getting pretty handy on her mtb and it is giving her more confidence to go on the roads, so she possibly may join me on the road for a few rides in the country next year, mtb in epping forest is good fun all year round, bit messy cleaning bikes after a wet ride, but hey ho you got to do it, we have just replaced our mtbs so we are looking forward to a good weekend in the forest, but i do mis my evening rides on the road, hopefully i can get an early start sunday morning and get out for a couple of hours before we head for the forest,
i commute to work 5 days a week on the mtb in any weather,

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
3 Road bikes here: 1x Alu Carbon 1x Alu and 1x Steel. One cheap Decathlon Rockrider 5.2.

The Rockrider is a great MTB for shorter rides down trails and bridleways, nothing fancy, just an Altus groupset and V brakes on a good aluminium frame with Rigida wheelset.

Makes a nice change to get out and about off road for a while.
262422_10150354142556177_560751176_9885377_4532611_n.jpg

2old2care

Über Member
Such ramblings have probably been asked and considered before...:rolleyes: .

Anyway, how many of you out there ride both? Being a dedicated roadie at the moment I'm thinking of buying a trail bike and although I'm not intent on spending as much on the mtb, I'm wondering what other people's experiences of having both road and mtb bikes are? Is that the right question, yes, sort of. Do you use one in summer and the other in winter or are you just a tw0-wheeled fanatic of every type?

There's a number of reasons, the first being I'd just like to have a decent trail bike and ride some trails! Obviously. There are plenty around here to choose from. But another reason is that I have a winter vs summer bike dichotomy thing going on...

Given the tendency for rain even in 'summer', I'm wondering on the merits of keeping a road bike for the winter alone - it's slower, heavier and has a completely different geometry to my carbon which might lead to back problems come the spring like it did when I first changed over. Perhaps wait for that odd day in winter where conditions are better? Certainly better than some of the conditions I ended up riding in during the so-called summer.

I know, I know, you don't want to trash your Sunday best on salt and grit on the roads but then I wouldn't ride on the road in those conditions anyway, really I wouldn't. (The last time I rode when the gritting machines were out, my chain very nearly ended up ruined and it needed some serious and immediate TLC). So what are the other benefits of a winter bike? Don't really fancy sliding around in the mud on the road and mudguards could easily be fitted to my carbon. Am I playing devil's advocate? Up to a point, yes I am.

So, here's my train of thought. I'd take a rough guess that your average mtb might be better in the wet and mud so when the weather is bad, why not take the trail bike out for a spin? This might sound like blasphemy to a dedicated roadie but I'm just not sure how much adverse condition I can put up with on the roads beyond that which, albeit with a thorough clean afterwards, I wouldn't put the carbon or myself through anyway.

So how many others might apply a similar train of thought? Equally, how many people don't bother with a separate winter bike for the reasons above?

Why not get a cyclocross bike! The Whyte cx range of cyclocross bikes have a mtb type of geometry, which sounds like it might suit you. :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've been a mountain biker since 1989 but three years ago I acquired a road bike and my fitness has shot up. I now ride 99% on the road bike and when I do use the MTB I'm usually the fastest in the group (having a Ti frame and rigid carbon forks probably helps too!) I seldom ride the MTB by day but still enjoy the occasional night ride when the weather is nice.

I also don't want to use my carbon roadie on wet salty roads so I have bought a CX bike with disc brakes. First ride was last Sunday; I did only 20 miles and around 1700 ft of climbing, about 5 miles of which was off road on easy forestry tracks and bridleway. By the end I felt as if I had had as good a ride as if I had done 30 miles or more on the road; the CX bike is a little slower and heavier than the roadie yet much faster than an MTB. I plan to use it as a winter training bike and in the snow as the handling is very sure and steady. It seems like the ideal compromise between road and off road to me, it would make an excellent tourer or commuter fitted with a rack or mudguards.

Nebulous

Guru
I had a mountain bike for very occasional rides- largely canals and old railway lines with my family.

I then bought a roadbike and started becoming pretty serious as a leisure cyclist. Then about 4 months later I gave up my car and wanted to commute by bike. I've rigged up my mtb with mudguards and lights and use it to commute, though its only 2 miles each way.

I bought a garmin in August and for the last couple of months I've been logging every single mile that I do. Its been a bit of a surprise. I've been doing less miles on the roadbike than I expected, but I've been doing quite a bit more on the mtb. Over 250 miles since late August.

I think they complement each other quite well. I have flat pedals on the mtb, and they are perfectly fine for commuting in work clothes.

Bicycle

I keep both and ride both. It's all just cycling as far as I can see; although there are differences.

Road bike for distances, general fitness and fun. All year round, but there are days (v wet or v cold) when I simply will not ride a bicycle. I have ridden in ghastly conditions, but it takes a lot of the fun out.

My road bike is an alloy frame with carbon stays and forks. No mudguards but it is used all year. I've never contemplated having a 'winter bike' but almost every cyclist I know has one.

My other road bike is a steel fixie. I am more nervous on the fixie on slippery surfaces, so it is for dry days only. This may seem eccentric, but it is so.

My MTB is a hardtail Pace rc303. Lovely and light but slightly odd in some ways. It sees very little use in the winter, because the offroad environment around here (Welsh borders) can get like soup from November to March.

So... my MTB is a pretty much a summer-only bike. I have pals who ride off-road and it seems like a social activity to me. I rarely ride off-road alone.

My road bike is for all year and I ride alone or with my children. Road riding seems like a solo activity to me.

VamP

Banned
I've been a mountain biker since 1989 but three years ago I acquired a road bike and my fitness has shot up. I now ride 99% on the road bike and when I do use the MTB I'm usually the fastest in the group (having a Ti frame and rigid carbon forks probably helps too!) I seldom ride the MTB by day but still enjoy the occasional night ride when the weather is nice.

I also don't want to use my carbon roadie on wet salty roads so I have bought a CX bike with disc brakes. First ride was last Sunday; I did only 20 miles and around 1700 ft of climbing, about 5 miles of which was off road on easy forestry tracks and bridleway. By the end I felt as if I had had as good a ride as if I had done 30 miles or more on the road; the CX bike is a little slower and heavier than the roadie yet much faster than an MTB. I plan to use it as a winter training bike and in the snow as the handling is very sure and steady. It seems like the ideal compromise between road and off road to me, it would make an excellent tourer or commuter fitted with a rack or mudguards.

Yep. CX bikes are the dog's nuts. You can race them too :smile:

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Thanks folks, think I've decided to go for an entry level-ish mtb and keep the other road bike, a Giant, and Winterize it a bit. Then I've no excuse, ever. Three is a good number.

Some interesting thoughts, including the Cyclo-cross, but I think I've made my mind up. The trails around here are too good to miss having a go on and I'd prefer an mtb for that sort of terrain.

I think one of the things that was bothering me was comparing two mtbs, same make, different prices and being led down the path of, well you're better off with the more expensive one because...blah...blah...blah. And of course, before I knew it I'd be spending as much on an mtb as I would on a road bike which I can't afford and would be ill-advised to afford for something that will still play second fiddle to the blessed road.

Thanks again one and all.

Fiona N

Veteran
I've gone down another route for road riding in winter/bad weather by acquiring a steel 700 singlespeed (fixed if I wanted but I don't) which has clearance for cross tyres, mudguards and whatnot. In winter I find I'd rather make the effort to get out for an hour, 4 or 5 days a week whatever the weather than banking on a good 'Sunday' ride. The single speed is great on the choppy hills around here (south Lakes) as you have to attack the hills and keep your momentum up much more than with gears - though obviously I won't be flogging it up any Lakeland passes anytime soon. But I find I get a solid workout over about 30 - 40km and don't have to worry about fettling the chain/derailleurs everytime I come back on a filthy day.

I've just upgraded the mtb too - Merlin hardtail - with some Avid disks and Fulcrum wheels - in fact 2 pairs of wheels so I can keep knobblies and near slicks at hand depending what I want to do. The nearest off road to here is fairly serious so will need proper tyres. The alternative is to ride the 20 miles over to Grizedale for the trails or just hang on for the snow again which makes all the back roads a skating rink for cars and a playground for a properly equipped mtb :biggrin:

Roadrunner78

I'm not looking forward to winter. I live in Scotland and we get real winters, as in so bad my roadie wouldn't cope. I have a Kona Explosif for winter, nice bike but a lot harder work than my roadie. As soon as the gritters come out my roadie goes away for winter.

Top Bottom