Road Wheels for a Mountain Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I'm trying to get my son interested in cycling and against my advise he insisted on buying a mountain bike. Not unexpectedly, he can't keep up with me on the road, particularly going up hill. Even down hill, he's peddling while I'm having to freewheel/brake to keep to keep from overtaking. His bike is reasonably light weight for a mountain bike (it’s a Claude Butler Stone River), there's a good range of gears and his saddle is set right, so my assumption is that the wide wheels/tyres are the only thing holding him back. Would it be a good idea to get him a set of road wheels/tyres for the bike? and if so, would this make a significant difference?
Thanks,
Shaun.

mr Mag00

rising member
HUGE difference

Globalti

Legendary Member
Even a set of commuter tyres in 1.6" width with a central ridge would be faster. Better still, get him some MTB slicks, they will be about 30% more effficient on tarmac.

The problem with MTB tyres on tarmac is that the rubber knobs squirm around, soaking up your pedalling effort. The buzz they make is your energy being transformed into noise rather than forward movement.

U

User482

Yes, but if the rims are a different width then rim brakes will need re-adjusting each time you swap. If discs, make sure you use the same type of hub so that the brake calipers won't need re-centering.

U

User482

alecstilleyedye said:
make sure the wheels are 26" and not 700c, or the geometry will be all wrong.

Actually that's incorrect - 700C + slicks are barely bigger than 26" + knobblies.

papercorn2000

I've used 700c disc wheels with skinny road tyres quite successfully on a MTB. The only bummer is that I can't lock out my suspension so it still bobs about on climbs.

RedBike

If his bike is V-brake then you can only use 26" MTB wheels on the bike. Otherwise the brakes wont be inline with the rim.

If the bike has disc brakes then you can use 700c disc wheels. These are road rims laced to MTB hubs. (They're not that popular so you'll have to search around a bit to find them.)

MTB rear hubs are 135mm wide whereas road hubs are 130mm wide.

Just changing the tyres will make a hugh difference.

Mr Pig

User482 said:
make sure you use the same type of hub so that the brake calipers won't need re-centering.

That's what I was told too but I have a pair of Shimano hubs and a pair of Mavic hubs with the same type of Shimano centre lock rotors on them both. I can swap the wheels over and the brake disks line up 'exactly'. I have no idea whether this would be true of other hubs obviously but clearly some manufacturers get the spec right.

And yes, road tyres will speed him up a lot :0)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just another set of MTB wheels - get some Hutchinson Top Slick 2's from Decathlon for a tenner - only 1.2 inch wide, very much like road tyres, but don't take them off road.....they are a bit like a proper race tyre, minimal 'deflation' protection, but boy, are they quick......

Then if he want's the rough stuff, just switch the wheels, no messing.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Well I put some slicks on my son's mountain bike and the result wasn't exactly what I was expecting.

In fact I'm thinking of putting his old mountain bike tyres back on again.

I can't keep up with him now :biggrin:

Top Bottom