Road World Championships Bergen 2017 **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Moscon has been disqualified for what Chris Boardman described at the time as a very sticky bottle.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/moscon-disqualified-from-worlds-road-race-video/
It doesn't look like much to me but maybe I'm missing something

Buddfox

Veteran
Yes. He did well to finish 5th after getting dropped on that last salmon leap and putting in that dig.

Agreed - even before seeing that, I thought it was a great result for him. It's a shame the coverage was dropped - from what is shown in that clip it looks like it was pretty chaotic from 3km to 1km to go, before the group came back together.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Swifty did really well. I suspect he's never going to get that elusive big win if he leaves it to the bunch sprint, he's just not quite good enough, but he might just pull it off one day if he can make a late attack stick. That was an ideal course for him as well, quite Milan-Sanremo-esque.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think it's the context more than anything. I think it was when he was chasing down Alaphilippe.

If it had been in a stage race and he'd dropped back to the team car to fetch bottles or if he'd been chasing back on after a mechanical or something then they'd probably have let it pass. But to take such an long a boost at that point in a one day race was taking the mickey. It appeared to me also that the driver may have put his foot down a bit as well.

(Note that may be utter cobblers. Happy to be corrected.)
Nope, driver probably put his foot down - it looks like the camera bike has to accelerate to catch it up. Do we know if the driver used to work for Astana? ;)

It seems it wasn't when he was chasing down Alaphilippe (I saw that bit and didn't see this) but a lap earlier when he'd been caught behind a crash or something.

It's just as well Moscon didn't win from the breakaway with Alaphilippe and even Trentin who he helped set up didn't get a medal, else this could have been a much bigger decision than it probably was in the end.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Total cycling. Awesome ride by Blaak.
Indeed but what :cursing: idiot at the BBC scheduled it to switch channels shortly before the end? And then no highlights not even on the red button? I had to go digging around on Youtube to find out how we got from the last I saw to Blaak winning.

Adam4868

Guru
Nope, driver probably put his foot down - it looks like the camera bike has to accelerate to catch it up. Do we know if the driver used to work for Astana? ;)

It seems it wasn't when he was chasing down Alaphilippe (I saw that bit and didn't see this) but a lap earlier when he'd been caught behind a crash or something.

It's just as well Moscon didn't win from the breakaway with Alaphilippe and even Trentin who he helped set up didn't get a medal, else this could have been a much bigger decision than it probably was in the end.
http://road.cc/content/news/229761-...es-blame-gianni-moscon-world-championship-tow
Driver error ?

I take issue with the 'nowhere to go' line though - as with the Hoogerland crash, it would have been better to drive into the obstacle (ie the car in front). Let the drivers feel the brunt of their recklessness rather than the riders.

Both drivers should be given lifetime bans from race convoys. Morons.
Maybe, run into the other car, but it'd have been pure reflex action to steer away from it
Just the most unfortunate of timing

A bit of a devil's advocate point of view here: rider was directly behind the car. A quick stop, even with a shunt, might also have taken the rider out. There doesn't seem to have been enough time for the driver to know that he could brake sharply without taking the cyclist out.
Probably didn't even know he was behind, or so close anyway

Top Bottom