Rob Hayles

Rob Hayles and his High Blood-Cell count result

• YES I DO FEEL SORRY HE DIDNT DO IT

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • NO I DONT FEEL SORRY - RECKON HE DID...

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Question...

-------------------------------------

British cycling chief Dave Brailsford expects Rob Hayles to be cleared to ride again within the next three weeks.

Hayles was withdrawn from competition on the first day of last week's World Tracks Championships following an anomaly in a routine blood test.

Brailsford said: "He has been tested every second day and the results so far show absolutely nothing untoward.

"I can't say categorically yet, but so far the results are consistent with those of a clean rider."

However, Brailsford told the Guardian newspaper: "It will be another two and a half weeks before we have proof beyond doubt."

Olympic silver medallist Hayles, 35, gave an haematocrit reading 0.3% over the permitted 50% in a pre-championships test.

606: DEBATE
Further testing is needed to determine whether (a) that result can be repeated and (;) it is abnormally high for Hayles. Notice how the ban is for 2 weeks, not 2 years?

limeycowbell

The procedure was introduced by cycling's world governing body, the UCI, in 1997 in a bid to limit the illegal use of blood booster EPO.

An elevated haematocrit reading can be an indication the drug has been used, but it is not proof.

Riders with levels over 50% are deemed not fit to race on health grounds as blood which is too rich in oxygen-carrying cells brings the risk of a heart attack or a stroke.

Hayles continues to insist he has done nothing wrong.

"My main frustration is not with the testing - I believe it has to be there - but I think there needs to be anonymity," he said.

"The situation now is that I'm guilty until proven innocent, and it's a bit ironic that I was stood down on health grounds - the stress I've had in the last week has probably knocked a few months off my life."

domtyler

Über Member
No, er Yes.

Keith Oates

Janner
As said in a pevious thread on this subject, he is innocent until proven guilty. I think we should wait and see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave5N

Über Member
Why are you stirring this yenners?

Leave him alone. We have a 14 day period to see if he has any health issues.

Rob is a great rider, a great contributor to the sport, a fantastic medal-winning athlete. I just hope he is ok. Sounds like he is.

The H/C test was a clumsy attempt at best to establish if people used epo before the epo test was possible. It measures haematocrit, not drugs, so don't make assumptions.

mondobongo

Über Member
Its an indicator not a positive test!! Give the guy some breathing space and lets see what the full result shows.

You forgot the third option.....

I think he is being hounded without evidence - let's wait for the evidence before judging!

If this was anything else we would not be allowing such discussion.

wafflycat

No third option, I see, of wait for the results of the tests?

To go over it again - a high haemocrit level is *not* proof of doping, it is merely an *indicator* that there *may have been* along with many reasons, entirely legitimate, for a raised haemocrit level. As it's *not* proof, that's why the further tests are done, to work out if, indeed, doping has been going on. If the guy has doped, then he should be banned for life AFAIC, but it may be that he is actually innocent. So until the detailed results are out, the guy is innocent until proven guilty - just the same as the Dutch rider who also had an elevated haemocrit level at the same event.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
There was a good article in last weeks cycling weekly about Hayles. part of the article explained that although the red blood cell count was high, it could be because the white blood cell count was low for some reason. At the moment there is no explaination of the reason why there is a discrepancy, so there is no reason at the moment to suspect that Hayles has done anthing wrong.

gavintc

Guru
Paulus said:
There was a good article in last weeks cycling weekly about Hayles. part of the article explained that although the red blood cell count was high, it could be because the white blood cell count was low for some reason. At the moment there is no explaination of the reason why there is a discrepancy, so there is no reason at the moment to suspect that Hayles has done anthing wrong.

^^^. I agree. I was a little confused with this one till I read that article and chatted it through with some of the more knowledgeble club riders I ride with. Initially, I was a little more pessimistic on Hayles. The more I read and ask people's opinions, the more I am prepared to accept that there may be an innocent explanation.

Which is why I am always amazed at the jump to "Guilty"

It is about time we stopped publishing the interim and equivocal results until the tests and investigations are complete.

Keith Oates

Janner
That's good news, he can now get back to doing what he does best and that's racing. I also consider these media reports should not be carried out until everyone is sure there is a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom