Rochdale to Blackpool ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Is it an 'organised' ride or is it just something you wanna do?

Dilbert

Too far for me at the minute I'm afraid, I might get there but no way could I make it back as well

There is a train back, one change, about 2 hours.  Bikes can be taken free on both, one can be booked (Transpennine) and one First-Come-First Served (Northern Rail).

I might be up for this depending when it is.  Done 30 in one go so far.

Sounds like could be fun, when is it?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm up for it; I live about half way (north of Blackburn) so I can help with route choice and some decent cafes and I'll join the full ride. I did home to Bowness on Windermere a couple of weeks ago, which was 60 miles. I can also offer transport back for two riders in my car, which I could leave at Blackpool.

What route were you thinking of taking out of Rochdale?

ColinJ will be interested too.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was thinking on something like this

http://maps.google.c...1,1.344452&z=10

Pretty good route; I'm very familiar with all but the last few miles. You've only got two major climbs, one out of Rochdale on Edenfield Road and the second over the Grane-Elton roads into Blackburn. Both will give you an easy climb of a couple of miles with a very long gentle downhill. Your only problem will be traffic so I'd recommend an early Saturday or Sunday start.

Local knowledge: the only bit I would change would be that after crossing the A56 at Edenfield, you drop down into Irwell Valley and cross the Irwell. Instead of taking Ewood Lane and Green's lane (steep and manky narrow lanes, may be glass-strewn) over to Rossendale High school, keep right on Manchester Road northwards to the big roundabout. There's a big Tesco there (in the premises of a garden centre built with laundered drug money and confiscated) where you can buy snacks. Then follow Broadway west, turning left (south) on the B6214 Helmshore Road. You then take an easily-missed right onto Station Road, which will put you onto Holcombe Road, passing Helmshore Textile museums (cafe and a fascinating place to visit, amazing mill scenery, good place to park bikes) and a brilliant pub called the Robin Hood (Copper Dragon Ales) and thence straight up onto the Grane Road. I can guide you through all this section.

Oh, in Blackburn Freckleton Street is one-way, you'll be on Byrom Street. Montague Street is extremely steep for a short distance so I could probably work out a better route onto Preston New Road. From there on you're on some pretty busy roads, you could avoid them by going through Ribchester and Longridge but that would add miles and hills.

Sheepy1209

Veteran
The A583 between Preston and Blackpool is OK for a group as it's largely either dual carriageway or wide single, with a 50 or 40 limit most of the way.
If you want a quieter / scenic route consider going slightly north of Preston and coming through Woodplumpton, Inskip, Elswick and Singleton - or stitch together a route on the minor roads in between that route and your proposed one (perfectly possible, but signposting isn't great round there).

If you're happy with the route you've proposed, I suggest leaving the A583 at the traffic lights just before the M55, head down Whitehill Road, continue down School Road, right at the end onto Common Edge Road, left onto Squires Gate Lane and join the promenade at Starr Gate. You arrive in Blackpool on a much more pleasant route that way - the town centre's not a nice place to cycle.

Top Bottom