Rolls-Royce plans mini nuclear reactors by 2029

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Its an interesting development. But do we want the issue of waste and leaks? Would you want one at the end of your road? They would be a terrorist target? My understanding is that all current nuclear sites are heavily guarded.

how big is the reactor on a nuclear powered submarine? They must be fairly portable so it mist be possible to shrink these things.

flake99please

Make mine a '99'
Given their expertise in turbine engines for the aviation industry, I find it strange that they have not developed wind turbines for the renewable energy market.

roubaixtuesday

Über Member
Its an interesting development. But do we want the issue of waste and leaks? Would you want one at the end of your road? They would be a terrorist target? My understanding is that all current nuclear sites are heavily guarded.

how big is the reactor on a nuclear powered submarine? They must be fairly portable so it mist be possible to shrink these things.
I had a tour of a V-boat many years ago. You can walk over the top of the reactor core, separated by a (lead) glass floor. From memory, I'd say it was about 3mx3m.

Obviously, in general, the smaller the size, the lower the power output. There's a minimum size dictated by criticality, but I think the real limit is economics.

[edit, yes, that's about right: "A PWR1 submarine RPV is typically around 3 metres in diameter and 4 metres high. The S5W reactor is slightly smaller than the PWR1 and the PWR2 slightly larger and quite a lot heavier. "]

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/374919/Supporting_info1-PSE2_SID_RPV_20141111_V1_0.pdf

I had a tour of a V-boat many years ago. You can walk over the top of the reactor core, separated by a (lead) glass floor. From memory, I'd say it was about 3mx3m.

Obviously, in general, the smaller the size, the lower the power output. There's a minimum size dictated by criticality, but I think the real limit is economics.

[edit, yes, that's about right: "A PWR1 submarine RPV is typically around 3 metres in diameter and 4 metres high. The S5W reactor is slightly smaller than the PWR1 and the PWR2 slightly larger and quite a lot heavier. "]

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/374919/Supporting_info1-PSE2_SID_RPV_20141111_V1_0.pdf
You were lucky. I went on Turbulent and Tireless about 8 years ago and walked over the top of the reactor but even the Matlow showing us round said he never ventured into its compartment.

There's the answer for the disposal of the Roles power stations - stick the reactors along side the decommissioned subs in Devonport and leave them there for a few decades 😉

Top Bottom