roof rack or rear rack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
We've got a Golf, and a rack that goes on the back. It's horrible to use, and scratches the bike.

I'm concerned that a roof rack, which keeps the bikes standing up, will stress the bikes and make the car difficult to drive in a crosswind. Are these fears well-founded or misplaced?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Misplaced Mr Dell sir, I use a roof rack for my bike and have never had a problem. Not with stressed bike, crosswinds or watching my bicycle, in the rear-view mirror, as it bounces down the road.

oldroadman

Veteran
Rack that sits on a towball can be OK if you have a towball.
Otherwise on top will be OK with a proper bike rack, but hammer the MPG. Always secure the wheels if they are free to rotate, spinning unloaded at silly RPM can damage bearings.
Best of all drop the back seat and shove it in the car, or just take wheels out and it will go in the bootspace.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I used the thule 591 racks on the roof and on our old Astra estate and the VW Passat I have now and to be honest you won't even know they are there (unless you try to go into a multistorey carpark!) even with 4 bikes on top. As far as stressing the bikes I think they are in a superb position and the 'claw' has a soft rubber coating that keeps the bike still and probably squeezes no harder than a good tight hand grip.

Get one, you won't be dissappointed.

C

chillyuk

Don't go through Needham Market towards Ipswich and forget it's on your roof.

The voice of experience........

corshamjim

I just went with what the car dealership offered which is one of these:

http://www.montblanconline.co.uk/product/79-55/Mont-Blanc-Barracuda--Roof-Mounted-Bike-Carrier

I love it because once the bike is in the moulded tray, the shape keeps the bike upright so you can take your time getting it strapped and clamped in. I found it's not such a good idea to load the bike when the car is parked on a steep hill though. :blush:

It's great for my touring bike which is fairly light weight but I wouldn't want to heft my Pashley on to it too often.

As oldroadman mentioned, it's bound to affect mpg, but I don't use it too often so that doesn't worry me.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I got a Hollywood bike rack (like this
hollywood-f1-boot-carrier-tp_873104078537602072.jpg
)when I got my first car, a fiesta, years ago. I used it on the Mk II Gti I used to have. It allows you to open the boot with the bikes on and you can use car parks with no worries. GF's son has it now but hasn't got a bike yet :whistle: .

ramses

I use a rear trailer on a tow bar, it's a Thule that holds two bikes and has the trailer lights on.

I personally wouldn't use a rack that sits on the boot door, as I have known people to have had issues with these, scratching the cars, scratching the bikes
ohmy.gif
and also the added weight can affect the boot door hinges. However they are cheaper, so depends on budget.

The trailer is one of the best things I've ever bought for the car, and makes the transporting of the bikes so easy. No scratches either. Plus I can see the bikes at all times, so don't forget they are there!
rolleyes.gif

subaqua

What’s the point
only ever used rear mounted racks.

my brother in Law uses a roof mounted rack . cost him £2K in repairs to bikes and car after he forgot it was there . apparently it made a rather large noise

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Roof rack here - Nissan aero bars (Thule) and 4 Halfords Advanced bike racks (Thule Freeride 532). No cross wind issues, just hammers your fuel consumption if you do a steady 80 :tongue:. Tend to keep the speed down to 60ish and fuel is fine.

Peter88

Veteran
I use a Thule 9403 Towball mounted rack on my Renault Scenic, Decided against a roof rack becasue of the hight involved.
The rack pivots to allow access into the cars boot and also has a built in light board and number plate holder.
Only issue is remembering the extra length on the car when reversing.

Top Bottom