Rother Valley Country Park to Kiveton Park Station

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Does anyone know if it is possible to ride from Rother Valley Country Park to Kiveton Park Station logically you should be able to follow the path of the Chesterfield Canal but looking on the maps it appears to be a footpath not a bridleway.

KneesUp

Guru
The canal website implies you can cycle all of it - http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust...ng-the-full-length-of-the-chesterfield-canal/

I've only done about a mile of it with the kid, mind you!

Jody

Stubborn git
Does anyone know if it is possible to ride from Rother Valley Country Park to Kiveton Park Station logically you should be able to follow the path of the Chesterfield Canal but looking on the maps it appears to be a footpath not a bridleway.

Not off road but its only a short journey. Go up the path near to the bridge at the visitors centre (runs paralel with the grass ski slope). The path takes you past the MTB trails. At the end turn right up the road until you reach the traffic lights, straight accross then follow your nose until you reach the train station.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Thank you very much, this sort of seals it.

"The way through Killamarsh is not obvious so keep a very close look out for the Cuckoo Way and Killamarsh Greenway signs. If you do get lost, just go downhill to the main road (Sheffield Road) and turn right. As the road starts to rise, you will see a Cuckoo Way sign pointing along a path to the left.
A short distance after crossing Rotherham Road, you will come to the Norwood flight of locks and eventually to the sealed up western portal of the Norwood Tunnel. Just before the tunnel, you will need to take the path to the left, up the hill. All but the most hardened mountain bike riders will be pushing their bikes here.
Go under the M1. From here it is downhill all the way to the River Trent!

Follow the path that goes slightly to the left to the line of the hedge. Keep going until you reach Kiveton Waters Fishery. Cross Hard Lane, go straight across the field and you get to the eastern portal of the Norwood Tunnel. From here you just follow the towpath for the remaining 32 miles to West Stockwith on the Trent."

The bolded bit is the relevant bit, looks like I maybe getting off & pushing :laugh:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Not off road but its only a short journey. Go up the path near to the bridge at the visitors centre (runs paralel with the grass ski slope). The path takes you past the MTB trails. At the end turn right up the road until you reach the traffic lights, straight accross then follow your nose until you reach the train station.
Was hoping to go through RVP, turn right out of the end towards Killamarsh & then turn left in the dip & go under the M1 or that's how I have it in my mind.

Jody

Stubborn git
Was hoping to go through RVP, turn right out of the end towards Killamarsh & then turn left in the dip & go under the M1 or that's how I have it in my mind.

There are loads of options to get there. Are you riding a hybrid or MTB and do you want simple or staying as near to the original canal route as possible?

Left if the dip will take you up the hill to Wales and then turn right to Kiveton. That will take you over the M1. To go under the M1 you have to go through Norwood Woods.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Live near Worksop, idea is to go to Elmwood Farm at Beighton, wife drive home & we'll drive MTB's back, looks like need to find the way into Norwood Woods

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

The towpaths along the canal for this stretch are an earth surface so very muddy when wet. It doesn’t become a tarmac path until near Shireoaks.
Thanks I'm familiar from Shireoaks to Kiveton Park, it's the next stretch I'm unsure of so want to ride to back home for easier navigation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jody

Stubborn git
Excuse the scribblings and hope this works

Attachments

• rv-1.jpg
    rv-1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 92
Top Bottom