Roundabout Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mgarl10024

Über Member
Hi,

The other night when coming home from work, I had a minor incident on a quiet roundabout and wanted some advice. I'm still new to commuting, and keep off the roads as much as possible, so all advice welcome.
There were no collisions or near misses (it would make a boring video), but it just got me thinking whether I/them were right/wrong.

I've attached an image of the roundabout. It's pretty quiet, even at rushhour.
The green line is me. I was approaching the roundabout, and was keeping to the left as I'm not the quickest of cyclists. By the time I reached the roundabout, I'm still on the left, perhaps 3ft from the curb, and I want to go straight on (shown by the dotted green line).
Next to me is a 4x4, shown in red.
We're both waiting for a car going from left-right over the roundabout.

We then both pull away. I want to go straight on. The 4x4 (unbeknown to me) wants to go left, and cuts right over my path forcing me to brake.

I guess I could occupy a primary position at the end of the roundabout - make the 4x4 wait for me. Feels a bit antisocial though - blocking the road and slowing them down while I approach the roundabout. However, if I were driving the 4x4 and saw the cyclist next to me, and I didn't know which way they were going and knew I needed to potentially cross their path, I reckon I'd have waited before pulling out - especially as it's such a quiet road.

Obviously, I don't want to get caught out again - so all advice welcome - no offence will be taken (within reason!)

Thanks,

MG

Attachments

• roundabout.jpeg
    roundabout.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 217

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Not your fault IMO. And there isn't much you could do. Drivers are idiots most of the time. And even using the best practise you will be forced to action to avoid a collision.

BSRU

A Human Being
Sitting in primary at the RAB is the correct thing to do, it is not anti-social it is anti-left hook, I always sit in primary at RAB's and junctions, making sure not to leave the door open on the inside.

Remember the 4x4 should wait a few seconds and not perform an illegal and dangerous manoeuvre.

sadjack

If you are both stopped and waiting all I could think you could have done extra would be to have indicated right ? I tend to do this on larger roundabouts to show that I am not taking a particular exit. It depends on the size of the roundabout and the traffic conditions etc tho as to whether its safe to do so, taking your hand off the bar, but if you were stationary and wanted to just catch the drivers eye, worth thinking about?

Otherwise drivers will just try to get past, after all they are faster than us and should be in front, shouldn't they? :whistle:

ChrisKH

Guru
Am I the only one who thought you wanted advice, but in a less than direct manner?

Take primary as others have said. You have the same right to the road as anyone else and primary will keep you safe(r).

yeh i'd be going to take the road myself by sitting in primary aswell.. aslong as you get your timing right you won't interfere or annoy other road users.. but if you can't get there in time then just go for the old fashioned observation and look for indicators on the cars next too/behind you to give yourself a fighting chance..

Like others have said take the Primary there and don't worry about feeling anti social even the if you were walking the bike you would only delay the 4x4's left turn by a few seconds to cut a nother road user up is more anti social. He'll most likely be delayed by the next set of lights round the corner for longer than that. BSRU sums it up well :smile: Good Luck

As above..

For your safety AND the consideration of other road users you need to take the lane approaching the roundabout. Some drivers are not fully competent when it comes to roundabouts and cyclists and thus you need to take the responsibility by guiding them, in this case guiding them to stay behind you on the entrance to, and around, the roundabout.

Consideration for others as it would hold them up a lot longer if the roundabout were closed due to your being a splat on the road! Something which many seem to forget when trying to barge past a cyclist for 3 seconds.

Despite the fact that the highway code suggests that you can navigate a roundabout by keeping left and signalling right all the way around, this is not a safe way of tackling modern traffic, and "was cycling according to the highway code" is fine but not something that should be an epitaph

Origamist

Legendary Member
@Mgarl - as you've stated you're not used to riding on the road and by your own admission you are not the fastest, it can feel a bit overbearing when lots of experienced and usually faster riders tell you to take the lane (ie adopt primary) at RaBs. The adivce is sound, but I appreciate that you will not necessarily be comfortable doing this, at least initially. If you're cycling at 10mph or thereabouts and you sit in primary on the approach to a free(ish) flowing RaB (and without wanting to put you off), you will get the occasional bit of aggro - usually no more than a beep or a close overtake. You should not have to put up with this, but it happens. However, this impatient behaviour is preferable to being hit, I can assure you.

Another tip or two, have a look back before you take primary and try and get the driver's eye - it's not a foolproof strategy, but it often helps. Remember to be extra vigilant at exits - a quick lifesaver.

Also consider cycle training.

hydridmatt

Über Member
Take primary - and whenever you get a chance give a 'thanks' wave when they finally get past; it makes drivers feel a little better and more inclined to behave well again next time.

taxing

I'm slow and am often a bit more meek on the roads than I know I should be, but I always take the lane when entering a roundabout. It gives me one less thing to think about (what the car next to me is going to do, as if it's a one lane road there isn't a car next to me, it's behind me). It makes you more noticeable to other cars at the roundabout, as if they glance in your direction and see a car, they won't be looking for anything else occupying that same lane (i.e. you). I've never had any aggro at all for doing it.

fruitbat

When going straight ahead never position yourself left of vehicles which are turning left. That applies to roundabouts and junctions. Unfortunately there are some badly designed cycle lanes which encourage you to do just that - ignore them!

Top Bottom