Route Planner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dav1d

I found a website that let you put in your area or postcode and the destination you are going to. It then tells you how many miles it is, and has step by step instructions (eg turn left at the first set of traffic lights, carry on until you reach Liverpool Road, etc), but I can't find it now (should have saved it in my favourites). Does anyone know any sites like this?

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Transport For London Journey Planner - if you are in London obviously

jnb

Veteran
4F said:
viamichelin ?

Hmm , just tried that and I've got to say google is better. Asked viamichelin for a cycle route and it took me along all the main roads. Google at least doesn't pretend it is a cycle specific route and while with both of them you can modify the route the map handling is better in google.

AdamBlade

I use Multimap.co.uk for directions by car. Never had any problems with it.

Bristol Dave

austin-towers said:
The RAC route planner is very good. Never failed me in my years as a tour manager!

I've had several dodgy directions from the RAC planner, including being sent to an empty field instead of a village hall (which was 2 miles away). Perhaps I visit too many out of the way places!

I tend to do 2 route plans now using either Multimap, RAC, Google and/or AA. Then you can see if there is significant deviation between the 2.

Also a new comprehensive road atlas is useful in the planning stage, although a bit heavy to carry with you on a bike. Once I get to where I'm going I usually buy an A to Z of the area, especially if I'm going to be making the journey a few times.

BD

jnb

Veteran
nigelnorris said:
Just tell Google maps you want walking directions and it will take you off big roads.

Tried that recently. In a bored moment I asked it to tell me how to walk from land's end to john 'o 'groats. It suggested going via the Isle of Man, Northern Ireland and Shetland!

PBancroft

jnb said:
Tried that recently. In a bored moment I asked it to tell me how to walk from land's end to john 'o 'groats. It suggested going via the Isle of Man, Northern Ireland and Shetland!

Actually, that might be the quickest way by foot, as it would involve a couple of ferry trips - undoubtedly faster than trekking over land.

Top Bottom