Route planning with Google Maps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jefftala

Google just added "bicycle" as a transportation option on Google Maps. Only works in Canada and US right now, but no doubt the rest of the world is on the To Do list.

Here's what Google had to say about it today.

Anyone try it out? I plugged in "Montreal" to "Toronto" and it couldn't compute it for me...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
It looks good, I already use Google Maps to do my own routes when I need to get somewhere. I just select walking rather than driving so that it avoids roads cyclists can't use.

Yes we do as well. The best feature we found recently was the 3D play through simulation with the aerial photography super-imposed on the landscape. Don't do it too often though, it can ruin the scenic wonders associated with touring...

andym

Über Member
I use Google Maps a lot - it's a really useful research tool, but I wouldn't ever leave route planning to a computer or at least not without understanding how it makes its decisions. The bike routes option on Google Maps seems to be based on finding the flattest route possible - but that's not necessarily the most scenic/interesting route.

We plot our routes in tracklogs and then export them in a format that googlemaps recognises so we can check out the route.

Incidentally a great site for the UK is geograph - photos pegged to OS map grid refs so you can check out offroad elements if you need to.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Via Michelin has had a "by bike" option for years, and it works over most of Europe (maybe all of it by now).

I can't comment on how sensible the routes are, but it's got me successfully across Dublin, London, Paris, Barcelona and Valencia.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Uncle Phil said:
Via Michelin has had a "by bike" option for years, and it works over most of Europe (maybe all of it by now).

I can't comment on how sensible the routes are, but it's got me successfully across Dublin, London, Paris, Barcelona and Valencia.

Useful this side of the pond, but not sure if that will help jefftala in Canada... :biggrin:

gbs

Guru
Uncle Phil said:

The "by bike" option for H'smith to Windsor is v fast - via M4!:smile:

Ive been using google maps to plan my route from gibraltar up to yorkshire and it is fantastic. especially the street view, as i can actually check out a road to see if it looks suitable or not for cyclists. So much of Spain even rural areas has street view coverage. To be able to have detail such as "Turn right when you see the pink house" is great! :smile: (Tho knowing my luck they'll have repainted it since streetview was done!)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
jefftala said:
Google just added "bicycle" as a transportation option on Google Maps. Only works in Canada and US right now, but no doubt the rest of the world is on the To Do list.

Here's what Google had to say about it today.

Anyone try it out? I plugged in "Montreal" to "Toronto" and it couldn't compute it for me...

jefftala said:
Ah, but jefftala in Canada is planning a euro bike trip :smile:

Definitely useful!

Sorry my geography was getting confused :biggrin:

Hope you enjoy your trip to this side of the pond :biggrin:

Top Bottom