Route suggestions Winchester to Cornwall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a week in Lanzarote booked for 21 March which I may have to cancel due to work commitments. Which will severely piss me off.

I already posted here about alternative options, including France, but I do have a long weekend planned for Cornwall at the end of April. I need to be there for the Saturday morning. So I thought about cycling down there

Looking at my route planning software it is 210 miles in a straight line, but monstrously hilly. I could JUST do it in 3 days with careful planning

Anyone got any cunning ideas on what route to take - ideally avoiding main roads, and avoiding stupid hills. Or is that too much to ask for SW England?

mr Mag00

rising member
hmmm my experience of riding around here = hilly :biggrin:

andym

Über Member
I'm hoping to do the NCN along the south coast when it gets a bit warmer. Looks very scenic.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Thanks for that. Sadly Sustrans seem to require you to buy half a dozen maps at a few pounds each to cover such a route when they could easily put the whole route online for free. Their online mapping is feeble to say the least

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I have used the viamichelin.com with bike route option and it works quite well. I then plotted this into Tracklogs which I have. Brains, PM me if you want help

I must say Sustrans seems pathetically poor in terms of providing online resources to get people working out how to travel long distances by bike

andym

Über Member
jay clock said:
I must say Sustrans seems pathetically poor in terms of providing online resources to get people working out how to travel long distances by bike

True, they should really all now be on Google Maps, but most (all?) NCN routes are marked on Ordnance Survey maps which are available online (eg Multimap).

Top Bottom