Royal wedding free zone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
He used to regularly perform at Greenbelt, where he came out with one of the best explanations of Christianity I've ever heard:

"Christianity is like a Cornish pasty: there's something in it, but it's difficult to find out what it is."
I like that: I'll just have to find the German equivalent of Cornish Pasty before I can use it...

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
She's still an unelected head of state in position by accident of birth though, which I think is wrong. It may be ceremonial to a large degree, but it's not really the point in my opinion. I find the cringe-making bowing and scraping to be an embarrassment as we make ourselves subservient.

It's the obsequiousness that I really can't stand

No problem with the institution of the monarchy per se but all that fetlock tugging gets my goat. I've never met a royal person but I'd like to think I'd look them in the eye, give them a firm handshake and be pleasant. I'm no better than them and they're no better than me

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
It's the obsequiousness that I really can't stand

No problem with the institution of the monarchy per se but all that fetlock tugging gets my goat. I've never met a royal person but I'd like to think I'd look them in the eye, give them a firm handshake and be pleasant. I'm no better than them and they're no better than me

Totally agree. I have zero interest in the Royals and am often perplexed at some people who almost worship them as gods. I suppose they do a fair bit for charity & the current younger generation seem a bit more 21st century than the rest. They do go on a lot of jollies around the world and that's probably their only 'work' acting as ambassadors & UK sales people.

Having said all that, what gets my goat is the vomit-inducing cringeworthyness of our billionaire-clique-owned right wing press feigning over them, especially the Daily Wail. I recall on the day of Diana's funeral in '97 a news report that some shopkeepers who opened during the funeral were threatened by pro-royalists who deemed that they were't showing enough respect. That's what worries me. Like religion, you can be obessive as you like about something, but when you try and force it upon others, that's when you get dangerous.

God help us when the Queen buys the farm. It'll be wailing in the streets. On the bright side, Jacob Rees Mogg may implode (I'd love to borrow the Doctors Tardis & take him back in time to actually meet some of the royals who used to run this country and see how ruthless, dictatorial & mad some of them were).

theclaud

Openly Marxist
they're no better than me
We'll be the judges of that.

MiK1138

Veteran
I wonder if all the 'excitement' isn't being overblown by the media desperate to make people think there's more interest than is in fact the case.
Sky TV set up a big screen on the Royal Mile in Edinburger. it got about 12 tourists watching it, when challenged on hyping up a non event they backtracked saying they had set up the screen to highlight the fact that Scotchland wasn't fussed

Top Bottom