RSX STI shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello

The RSX STI shifters on my road bike are playing up. Operating the main lever is fine. Operating the secondary lever to change up on the cassette, or down on the chainring, is very hit and miss. It takes several goes to get any result, and it feels as if the internal ratchet release mechanism is worn. This is making cycling difficult, and occasionally dangerous.

The bike has been laid up for five years, and I've only recently got it back on the road. I can't remember whether the problem was evident before that.

Are these levers serviceable? Is there a simple solution? Or do I need new levers?

Thanks

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Twenty Inch said:
Are these levers serviceable? Is there a simple solution? Or do I need new levers?

To respond to your questions...
-In theory you can take them apart, in practice you can never ever ever get them back together again.
-All I can think of is blasting them with some light lube eg. GT85, giving them a good clean and new cables etc.
-Possibly :sad:

simoncc

I doubt if they are worn. I got a bike with 7 speed RSX STI shifters in 1997 and have used them ever since on my main commuting bike. They are as good as new. There's a good chance a squirt of lubricant as suggested above will do the job.

Joe

Über Member
Don't take them apart! Mine were playing up so I naively took that front cap off to have a look/clean, and I haven't been able to get it back on and working since:blush:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Give it a good squirt of WD40, which could get it back to life. Something i would change would be the cables, Stiction within them will possibly be the cause of shifting worries.

OP
OP
T
Steve Austin said:
Give it a good squirt of WD40, which could get it back to life. Something i would change would be the cables, Stiction within them will possibly be the cause of shifting worries.

Thanks guys. The cables are new and they were well lubed on fitting. I'll give them a good squirt later.

OP
OP
T
Now sorted - the allen bolt on the front of both levers benefitted from a 45degree tighten this morning, and shifting is now crisp, quick and predictable again.

Thanks for input.

Top Bottom