Rubbing disc brakes on a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anorakus

Just after a bit of advice as a newbie to hydraulic disc brakes... the brakes on my new Trek hybrid are making a rubbing noise. The shop says it's normal for disc brakes and I should brake sharply for the first few hundred (!) miles to break them in.. however a couple of weeks later, the rubbing noise persists.

Looking at the brakes, the disc doesn't seem to be quite central between the pads. When I apply the brakes, the disc is squeezed very slightly off to one side.

It doesn't seem to drag on the bike (it's no slouch going down hills), but the other bikes I tested didn't do this. I'm thinking of returning the bike to the shop to ask them to tweak the brakes, but I want to make sure they need adjustment and aren't just bedding in.

A.

HovR

Über Member
Although I have no experience with hydraulic brakes, this sometimes happens with my (cable) disc brakes - In which case I would fix it with minor adjustments of the brake pad positioning, not by waiting for it to bed in.

Although I am not quite sure how you would go about adjusting hydraulic brakes.
wacko.gif

Good luck!

Cyclist33

It's dead easy centering the disc in between the pads. Loosen the two main bolts on the mount, then depress the brake lever fully, then re-tighten the bolts. When you release the lever the disc should be centered.

But make sure the wheel itself is centered or sat properly in the dropouts first.

Stu

Ibbots

Have a look on the Hope website, there's a good video abouy setting up hydraulic disc brakes. Basically you need to ensure that the calipers are in line with the disc as mentioned above, then balance out the calipers so they both operate equally. You might still get some ringing but should not rub or impede the rotation.

I had this on my bike, it was caused by a bent front disc that rubbed for about a quarter turn every rotation. Spin the wheel slowly watching the disc and the pads - if they touch, even slightly, then separate take it back to the shop and ask for a new disc.

Do the pads on both sides move when you pull the levers?

Not always

It tends to be the case in hydraulics though

Stantheman

It's dead easy centering the disc in between the pads. Loosen the two main bolts on the mount, then depress the brake lever fully, then re-tighten the bolts. When you release the lever the disc should be centered.

But make sure the wheel itself is centered or sat properly in the dropouts first.

Stu
Just tried this on my front wheel and it worked a treat. Thanks

Cubist

Still wavin'
It's a new bike!!!!

Get the bike shop to sort it out, if they're half decent they'll show you how to adjust them so you can do it yourself next time. If the disc is knackered they can fit a new one. All under warranty
It may be a new bike, but rubbing discs will happen sporadically through the bike's life. He needs to learn to do it now.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
It is an easy adjustment but as has been said by others, just get the bike shop to do the work (while you wait)

Anyone with a mountain bike should know (or make the effort to learn) how to carry out basic maintenance on their bike.
Things like centering brakes, indexing gears, replacing chains ( if you're #dan_bo this includes twatting pringled wheels against trees). Being overly-reliant on the LBS will eventually lead to a long walk pushing or carrying a bike.

Top Bottom