Rubbish Broadband

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesAC

My Broadband speed has been getting worse and worse over the past few months. Before Christmas, it was 2000 kbps; then it dropped to 1750; a couple of days ago it dropped to 250.

My connection is via copper phone line from BT. My ISP (with whom I have no complaint) is ZEN.

Any advice?

Is fibre-optic a better option, if so, from whom?

Cheers

Garz

Squat Member
Some ISP's go through bad patches and are terrible at relaying it to their customers. I am on virgin (ntl) and in the main they are good but will randomly have a week where something plays up unannounced.

The excuses are usually maintenance or upgrades rather than outages.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
JamesAC said:
Is fibre-optic a better option, if so, from whom?

There isn't any option for fibre optic. You're either in a cabled area, or you're on BT's list for FTTx for the next year (phases 1-4) or you're on the later list of the (rest of) 40% BT will do by 2012 (phases 5,6 etc) but one of the unluckier ones having not been named yet (and there was until recently no way to tell).

If you want to know whether you'll be getting BT (which also gives LLU) fibre optics look at this map http://www.buckconsult.co.uk/fttx/

and http://www.trefor.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/exchanges.htm and so on etc etc. If you want any more info ask, the latter list is supposedly the most complete.

If you can't be doing with all that tell me whether you live in north/south/east/west London and I'll list a basket of exchanges.

marinyork

So for example on fibre optics picking an area of North West London (because someone asked me about this a while back)

Wembley - December 2010
Greenford - late summer 2010
South Harrow - September 2010
Ruislip - Dec 2010
Northwood - March 2011
Watford - already available
Uxbridge - Dec 2010
Perivale - Dec 2010
Ealing - Sep 2010

Some are not on the list e.g.
Hatch end
Harefield
Rickmansworth
Denham

ACS

Legendary Member
Contact Zen and aske for the BRAS to be reset. This may / can help

Broadband Remote Access Server Profile (BRAS)
The BRAS profile is responsible for regulating the maximum throughput (data rate) you will receive on your broadband service. Initially this is set to 2Mbps (if the line rate is above 2272kbps), but it will increase if your line can support higher speeds than this. The first data rate increase should take place within 75 minutes of your first connection. Your BRAS profile however, changes only when a stable connection has been made for a period of time; this may be up to 3 days in some cases. The BRAS Profile will also drop should the line rate decrease significantly.

OP
OP
J

JamesAC

marinyork said:
So for example on fibre optics picking an area of North West London (because someone asked me about this a while back)

Wembley - December 2010
Greenford - late summer 2010
South Harrow - September 2010
Ruislip - Dec 2010
Northwood - March 2011
Watford - already available
Uxbridge - Dec 2010
Perivale - Dec 2010
Ealing - Sep 2010

Some are not on the list e.g.
Hatch end
Harefield
Rickmansworth
Denham

Thanks for that. My local exchange is scheduled for 2011. However, the Virgin website said that my area WAS fiber-optic ready. Are these tow different systems?

OP
OP
J

JamesAC

satans budgie said:
Contact Zen and aske for the BRAS to be reset. This may / can help

Broadband Remote Access Server Profile (BRAS)
The BRAS profile is responsible for regulating the maximum throughput (data rate) you will receive on your broadband service. Initially this is set to 2Mbps (if the line rate is above 2272kbps), but it will increase if your line can support higher speeds than this. The first data rate increase should take place within 75 minutes of your first connection. Your BRAS profile however, changes only when a stable connection has been made for a period of time; this may be up to 3 days in some cases. The BRAS Profile will also drop should the line rate decrease significantly.

Thanks for this. I'll wait a few days and see if anything changes. If not, I'll give ZEN a bell. However, in the past it's been my experience that ZEN's really been on the ball and very helpful.

Cheers

marinyork

JamesAC said:
Thanks for that. My local exchange is scheduled for 2011. However, the Virgin website said that my area WAS fiber-optic ready. Are these tow different systems?

Yes. Two different systems, two different companies. Some similarities of course.

Virgin Media is the merged company of telewest and ntl, which the latter used to be cable & wireless as well. In the 1990s these were many different cable franchises and they were putting fibre optics in the ground between circa 1993-1999 and started to use fibre optics for broadband properly around the year 2000. Through mergers and putting in the fibre the company now has £6 billion of debt, so basically no more cable - ever. Well that's not quite true they do connect up a small number of new builds every year. The problem is that people have this odd idea that US style cable is 'coming to town' and they'll cable every street one day. It's nothing like that, the coverage maps are patchy and complicated so people get baffled when they move from one house to another round the corner and bitterly complain about it not being cabled - it happened to some friends of mine in london even though I did warn them. You have to check your exact postcode has cable and even then that might be wrong because there are a few errors and so on. If a neighbour has a green box on the side of their house, it's probably a cabled area though. Very crudely around 60% of the population is cabled. Their system is closed an only used by virgin. One day this may change but as BT are cabling similar areas this seems fairly pointless.

BT's system is totally different. It's about dragging bits of the system up to a higher standard so people can get 40Mbs off ADSL. Eventually FTTx will get upto 40%. This will be very beneficial to urbanites who live further from the exchange as instead of typical such speeds of 3-5Mbs they'll be able to get much faster. You won't have to buy it off BT if your exchange is done because the services will be rolled out to other providers. So if Zen is LLUed off your exchange (it isn't) then supposedly you'd be able to get these higher speeds with them, so there'd be benefits for other ISPs. Anyway there's not been much media coverage about any of this stuff but it'll be an extremely big deal for a lot of urban people. There will also be some very cheesed off people when they find they are excluded from it too.

marinyork

HLaB said:
It might be irrelevant James but how does your pc connect to the modem. If its by USB it'll be limited to around 2mbs a simple change to an ethernet cable may get you more.

Zen ain't LLU in London which would be one explanation why it would be 2Mbs.

OP
OP
J

JamesAC

HLaB said:
It might be irrelevant James but how does your pc connect to the modem. If its by USB it'll be limited to around 2mbs a simple change to an ethernet cable may get you more.

Ethernet.

2 mbps would be a bonus at the moment!

marinyork

If you're fussed about the speed in the end your best bet probably is having a think about the matter when BT put a little cabinet on your street in a year hence. It might be out of your price range but it depends what you want really.

marinyork

I'm sure things will be fine, as people asked, I was just pointing out that in about a year options will be significantly rosier for some lucky few.

Top Bottom