Rubbish ride today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Girls are away at grandparents.Wifey working.Whole day to ME.Goes out towards Otley bit windy bit cool.Gets near Harewood House decides to change plans go to Knaresbrough.Gets to a bit of a climb.Thought sod this turned around and came home very slowly.Only did 23 miles.And at the moment i am totally fed up.I just feel drained.Anyone else done this.I was so looking forward to the whole day.With no time limit.No school run to get back for.And it has all blown up.

Pete

Yes. I have.

Sorry to hear about it postman. Everyone has their bad days, there have been occasions when I've got off the bike, sat on the verge and wept. The motivation will come back. Please keep trying!

Arch

Married to Night Train
postman said:
Girls are away at grandparents.Wifey working.Whole day to ME.Goes out towards Otley bit windy bit cool.Gets near Harewood House decides to change plans go to Knaresbrough.Gets to a bit of a climb.Thought sod this turned around and came home very slowly.Only did 23 miles.And at the moment i am totally fed up.I just feel drained.Anyone else done this.I was so looking forward to the whole day.With no time limit.No school run to get back for.And it has all blown up.

Yeah, it happens. On the other hand, there must be days when you set out with nothing much in mind and end up having a great time - like I did on Sunday. You win some, you lose some. In fact I think the best way to put the kybosh on a day is to have too great a hope for it.

You'll feel better soon. It's very chilly today and breezy, if York is anything to go by, and it is a bit hilly round your way.

betty swollocks

large member
Don't flay yourself! We all have cycles when we feel good and not so good andoften for no discernible reason.

Take the time out to get plenty of calories (of the right sort) in you and hydrate properly. Relax and go out stronger next time.
I think this cool weather is getting us all down a bit. March is often the unkindest month of all: tantalising us as it often does with the promise of spring and its ethereal mildness just round the corner and then hurling one more final dose of winter at us before allowing it to finally release its grip.

girofan

Fnaar said:
Do summat else that pleases you. I'd watch a dvd and drink tea.

Drink tea, great idea!
Went out with some mates today. Gave them a bit of hell thru the lanes, then it started to snow, then rain! So did the sensible thing and stopped at the cafe for TEA and scones.:biggrin: Spent half hour or so chatting then awful ride back into the wind and rain.:biggrin: So similar ride to the postman, but we had TEA!;)

postman said:

I suffered today as well. There wasn't much wind but it felt bitter when I turned into it and cut right through me. I had to stop turn my back to it and take my gloves off and stuff them down my jersey before I could continue. I did a good ride but it didn't feel good.

As suggested, feet up, cuppa, DVD and some easter choccy ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Weather like today is when the windproof thermal jersey comes out - fantastic bit's of kit - although not been on the bike since last Thursday - lot's of stuff on with the kids - went to the park with the kids on their bikes - they had a good hour riding round and on the climbing frames and stuff.... back home for lunch, then out swimming for a 'fun session' with inflatables, then back - me cooking tea, and the kids back out now with friends from school (at the bottom of the road)...

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I think it really helps to have an objective: a place you have decided to get to, even if it's only to have a cuppa/pint and then turn back.

If I just set out to bimble about a bit, I invariably get bored and demotivated.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
I think it really helps to have an objective: a place you have decided to get to, even if it's only to have a cuppa/pint and then turn back.

If I just set out to bimble about a bit, I invariably get bored and demotivated.

Yes. In my case, once I'd got to Uranus, I was determined to make it to Pluto....;)

gbb

Legendary Member
Maybe many things coming into play Postman...
I struggled home tonight..a mere few miles, but i didnt seem to have any go. No wonder...i got home, fell asleep and once woken, felt like sh1t. A mild virus perhaps. Perhaps your bodies telling you its not running at 100%.

I also wonder...i HATE the winter with a vengeance. I was so happy two weeks ago, the prospect of some lighter nights, a little warmer weather, the prospect of Sunday carbootsales soon....
Ever since, we've had the most atrocious weather ;). From the highs :smile:to the lows xx(....Its hardly good for motivation.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Bimble i like that.

What a brilliant word.Bimble.I say tootle.The mistake was not going to where i should have gone Otley.I came off into the lane in Eccup into a wind i then saw a public footpath.In through the gate then it was cycle ,walk,mud,cycle finally walk.I was in the back garden of Harewood House.I did see the set of Emmerdale Farm for a reward.Good thing now i will ride that on the new off road Giant when i pick it up after next weeks holiday.And when i should have continued to Otley i went over Harewood bridge.Then remembered the slight pull up .So i turned around and went to see the other way.Which has an even steeper hill.Thats when i said sod it.So no damage done.Just one of those days.Has anyone ordered some more Cycle Chat stuff i want a Training Top.And the more that order the better discount.Typical Yorkshireman.Short arms deep pockets.And thank you all for the kind words.

byegad

Legendary Member
I too suffer from bad headwinds, on the other hand some days I'm feeling particularly strong. (It's not a tail wind honest!)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
Bimble.

Bimble bimble bimble.

Bimble.

Yes. I shall try to use it more often in conversation.

Bimblebimblebimblebimblebimblebimblebimble

In my first year at uni, we had a girl who was chair of the Archeaology Society (organised the usual social get togethers) and bimblebimblebimble was my BF's decription of her method of chairing meetings. Utterly aimless, and almost endearing, if you didn't want anything actually decided....:eek:

Top Bottom