Run on flat tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alcdrew

Is there such a thing for bikes? Just after the morning I've had I would happily buy some.

walker

yeah, their called tubs

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

domtyler said:
Wot 'appened??

Took me 2 hours to do my 7 mile commute...

4 Punctures:angry:... Well 3 punctures and one pinched innertube in my rush to get it back on.;)

First puncture, some pointy pebble made a big hole in the tyre and tube, put in my spare tube. Which wasn't easy as I think I have the most difficult tyres in the world for getting back on the rim (namely - Conti's sport contact's) Which did take a good 25 mins to do. Then 5 mins further up the road got another puncture this time a thorn, another spare tube and 20-25 mins to fix due to the horrible tyres. Then just around the corner yet another one. Now run out of tubes so had to patch it, and it was my last patch in the box. During fixing this one it decided to rain so was now grumpy and wet. Then only to find it wouldn'y inflate as I had managed to pinch the tube getting the stupidly tight tyre back on. So ended up walking the last mile or so.

domtyler

Über Member
Alcdrew said:
Took me 2 hours to do my 7 mile commute...

4 Punctures:angry:... Well 3 punctures and one pinched innertube in my rush to get it back on.:biggrin:

First puncture, some pointy pebble made a big hole in the tyre and tube, put in my spare tube. Which wasn't easy as I think I have the most difficult tyres in the world for getting back on the rim (namely - Conti's sport contact's) Which did take a good 25 mins to do. Then 5 mins further up the road got another puncture this time a thorn, another spare tube and 20-25 mins to fix due to the horrible tyres. Then just around the corner yet another one. Now run out of tubes so had to patch it, and it was my last patch in the box. During fixing this one it decided to rain so was now grumpy and wet. Then only to find it wouldn'y inflate as I had managed to pinch the tube getting the stupidly tight tyre back on. So ended up walking the last mile or so.

Eeee gads, that sounds horrific! Surprised you didn't just chuck the bike in the hedge and be done with it! ;)

All good experience though I guess! :blush:

Tynan

Veteran
patch

I save the spare tube for emergencies or really can't be arsed

If you can locate the hiss then you have to remove a lot less tyre

Are the tyres in good nick, that does seem like very bad luck

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Conti sports contacts, yep I agree they are a pig to get on and off. I am now running on schwalbe marathon plus's and found them easier to get on and off the rim.

Certainly sound like you had a hell of a trip.

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

To top it of yesterday, at lunch time I went to the shops and got a few patches, back at work fixed my tubes. But snapped a tyre lever getting the tyre back on the wheel. Seriously never buying conti sports again. But at the moment they are still within their year guaranty so will get the tyre and tube replaced.

domtyler

Über Member
Alcdrew said:
To top it of yesterday, at lunch time I went to the shops and got a few patches, back at work fixed my tubes. But snapped a tyre lever getting the tyre back on the wheel. Seriously never buying conti sports again. But at the moment they are still within their year guaranty so will get the tyre and tube replaced.

Get the blue Park Tools tyre levers, they are far better, in a different league to those cheap black plastic things that snap if you look at them funny.

I have Sport Contacts on my commuter bike and have not had to remove them since they were put on about 5,000 miles ago. They did pick up an inch long gash sometime over the winter but have still not actually punctured on me.

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

I do have a set of the park tool levers, but when trying to get the tyre back on, I was finding them a bit on the chunky side, so was using one of my trusty black levers that I have had for years. I was looking at some metal levers, but just felt they would bend and be no good. Quite like the look of the crank brothers speed lever

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Metal levers were the only things that would get my Marathon Pluses back on the MTB. Snapped every kind of plastic lever (even Park) before I relented and bought them.

They've helped a couple of people out since when they've not been able to get their tyres back on.

betty swollocks

large member
Alcdrew said:
I do have a set of the park tool levers, but when trying to get the tyre back on, I was finding them a bit on the chunky side, so was using one of my trusty black levers that I have had for years. I was looking at some metal levers, but just felt they would bend and be no good. Quite like the look of the crank brothers speed lever

Don't even go there.
I've been pretty impressed with a lot of CB's stuff, but speed lever: no! Broke first time I used it on a difficult tyre. Very flimsy and very disappointing.

P.H

Über Member
The Speed Lever is good for getting tyres off (I've broke one in five years)
For getting them back on again I find the VAR lever even better.
For unbreakable normal levers, SOMA do some plastic levers with a steel core.
Back to the original question, I don't think there are any run on flat tyres. This might be the nearest thing Pit Stop

Top Bottom