Rural commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novemberdelta

Hi
Looking for a recommendation. Primarily for 9 mile/750ft each way commute in Scottish countryside. Some rough roads. Would really like some light off road ability. Ability to fit racks and guards essential.

I'm a fairly fit and experienced cyclist but can't always be bothered cycling to and from when it's windy or I'm tired. I'm hoping an e bike would help me do more commuting. My average commute usually takes anything from 28-34 mins.

Budget max 3k but the less the better. I can't try them out first sir to location and commitments.

I'm considering
Ribble cgr Al e - ticks ALL my boxes but it's expensive.

Orbea Gain - seems ok

Woosh faro - good price but doesn't look off road capable. I guess I could fit drop bars but I think the clearance would be a limiting factor.

Anything I'm missing or general advice would be great. Thanks.

fatblokish

Guru
Firstly, does your employer have a cycle to work scheme in place? If not, then Green Commuting Initiative is perhaps regarded as the front-runner, is quick and easy to implement and also saves your employer £.

Other points to consider; if you can average >18mph on what is seemingly a quite hilly commute, then maybe a more gentle assist is entirely suitable for the steeper bits and the Ribble certainly fits the bill. Maybe take a look at https://ebiketips.road.cc/reviews for other choices.

Also, be aware that many of the older mid-mount motors have a (very) significant drag once you go above 15.5mph. I understand that this is less of a problem on front/rear hub motors but best to check out.

Confession: I have an Al e and am loving it

OP
OP
N

novemberdelta

Firstly, does your employer have a cycle to work scheme in place? If not, then Green Commuting Initiative is perhaps regarded as the front-runner, is quick and easy to implement and also saves your employer £.

Other points to consider; if you can average >18mph on what is seemingly a quite hilly commute, then maybe a more gentle assist is entirely suitable for the steeper bits and the Ribble certainly fits the bill. Maybe take a look at https://ebiketips.road.cc/reviews for other choices.

Also, be aware that many of the older mid-mount motors have a (very) significant drag once you go above 15.5mph. I understand that this is less of a problem on front/rear hub motors but best to check out.

Confession: I have an Al e and am loving it
Thanks for replying. There's an interest free government loan scheme of up to 3k available to anyone in Scotland so if it's over 2k or so I'll get that.

I think a gentle assist would be great. With the Al e is it like riding with a decent tailwind? That would be fine for me. Is the Al e able on towpaths and rougher stuff at all? What's it like to ride unassisted?

It's a lovely looking bike.

fatblokish

Guru
Thanks for replying. There's an interest free government loan scheme of up to 3k available to anyone in Scotland so if it's over 2k or so I'll get that. Makes sense, but f the cycle to work scheme is available that would typically save >30% of the new cost

I think a gentle assist would be great. With the Al e is it like riding with a decent tailwind? Sort of, but not really! It's hard to describe...more like a dad pushing youngest along by the small of the back (when on the highest assist). On lower assist levels it's certainly less perceptible. That would be fine for me. Is the Al e able on towpaths and rougher stuff at all? Towpaths it's more than adequate. What's it like to ride unassisted? Really, you think I got an e-bike to ride without the motor? :smile:

It's very well put together, the brakes are the best I've tried and I've ridden very many different e-bikes. One downside is the height of the bottom bracket; at 40mm ish higher than my road bike sorting out the saddle height vs the toe on the floor is a bit of a compromise, but then if you are on a rural journey maybe stopping at lights and junctions is less of a concern.

It's a lovely looking bike.

Top Bottom