Rust.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Marin spends a lot of time in the rain. In fact so do the kids bikes and wife's Specialized, though that's Alu. They've all just spent a week away camping and stood out in the rain and used to cycle to the beach.

So, where there are scratches on the paintwork and I have many due to these bikes being handled on and off carriers and shoved in cars, I've got surface rust. What's the best way of dealing with this do you think?

jimboalee

A car parts shop should be able to sell you a small car cover. One for an old Mini does the trick. Plus some bungee cords.

They can cover five bikes huddled together with a big lock and chain inside an old innertube.

There really is no excuse for leaving bikes out in the rain, how would YOU like it?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Very true Jimbo, I'm suitably chastised. I may well get a cover, however, it's not practical to cover them all the time, so how do I deal with the surface rust that's there. Just use one of those rust products aimed at cars?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

User3143 said:
A bit of elbow grease and a scouring pad should do the trick.

Aye but it comes back because the paint has gone there. Short of a respray or some ugly primer it's a recurring problem.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I find it's best to ignore it. Unless you have aesthetic concerns. Just wipe on a little vaseline to help stop it getting worse. Scratches in the paintwork won't lead to structurally significant rust for decades.

jimboalee

Try Jenolite or Kurust.

Jenolite is a gel which you paint on. Kurust is a thin white liquid which you also paint on. Take care not to paint your skin.

Both dry to leave a black coating over the rust ( or bare metal ).

Jenolite dries white on paint and alloy but wipes off.
Kurust dries a purplely colour on paint, alloy and chromework.

I treated ALL the chromework on an old bike with Kurust to leave me a pale blue bike with voilet coloured chromework,, Nice!

Otherwise, you could use Coca Cola.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You could also carefully remove the rust with a blade of a small screwdriver, then touch up with car touchup paint.

Do the bikes live al-fresco most of the time ?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

fossyant said:
Do the bikes live al-fresco most of the time ?

In the shed normally but the kids bikes often get left out by them and my Marin is pretty much a utility bike, it's the one I pick when I need a bike jammed in somewhere or for family hols, dog walks etc. Tough old steel beast, very versatile. I do look after it, it's just had a major refurb but it's lifestyle makes scratches an occupational hazard.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I use Kurust when i can be bothered -if not i simply paint with Hammerite.

asterix

Comrade Member
Bike builders use the following when renovating a rusty frame:

Rust removal
Phosphoric acid may be used by direct application to rusted iron, steel tools, or surfaces to convert iron(III) oxide (rust) to a water-soluble phosphate compound. It is usually available as a greenish liquid, suitable for dipping (acid bath), but is more generally used as a component in a gel, commonly called naval jelly. It is sometimes sold under other names, such as "rust remover" or "rust killer." As a thick gel, it may be applied to sloping, vertical, or even overhead surfaces.
After treatment, the reddish-brown iron oxide will be converted to a black iron phosphate compound coating that may be scrubbed off. Multiple applications of phosphoric acid may be required to remove all rust. The resultant black compound can provide further corrosion resistance (such protection is somewhat provided by the superficially similar Parkerizing and blued electrochemical conversion coating processes).

Following application and removal of rust using phosphoric acid compounds, the metal should be oiled (if to be used bare, as in a tool) or appropriately painted, by using a multiple coat process of primer, intermediate, and finish coats.

Care must be taken to avoid acid burns of the skin and especially the eyes, but the residue is easily diluted with water. When sufficiently diluted, it can even be nutritious to plant life, containing the essential nutrients phosphorus and iron. It should not be directly introduced into surface water such as creeks or into drains, however.

lukesdad

jimboalee said:
A car parts shop should be able to sell you a small car cover. One for an old Mini does the trick. Plus some bungee cords.

They can cover five bikes huddled together with a big lock and chain inside an old innertube.

There really is no excuse for leaving bikes out in the rain, how would YOU like it?

Sounds like a good idea, just remember to take it off as it will be a moisture trap. I allways used to use solvo autosol on bare metal polishing.

Top Bottom