Sad state of society today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldhippy

Veteran
Heard on the news that 300,000 people had signed a petition for an extra Bank holiday because we might win a game of football and government spokesman says great idea blah blah blah. So many actual real issues that the government needs to address and as always concentrate on the shiny things and ignore the things that can make a difference long term. Pathetic, all the more so as so many love their instant fix.

Agreed.

mustang1

Guru
Both points are good. The govt should concentrate on things other than getting them re-elected every 4 years but at the same time, i sure would love an extra bank holiday (or two)!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
So much of society has taken on board the 'me not we' message.

If you care about the long-term, or 'bigger picture' you're just a sad sack lefty.

Let's hope the new bank holiday celebrates the fact that eight out of the eleven successful English footyball team members have immigrant roots :okay:

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
These sad footballist losers need to get a life.

Sure, its great, but man (or woman) up and get some perspective. If even a hundred people had supported it id have rOlled my eyes, but the fact that this nation is home to 300,000 sad, golgafrinchan wasters is sadly no surprise.

When time travel is eventually invented I will start a petition to send this 300,000, all the lockdown whingers, all the other bludgers back to 1939 and make them live through WWII, then they'll know what real hardship is and when something really is worth going nuts over to celebrate.

Alternatively, deport them all to Scotland just before they go independent, spare the rest of us from these sad, pathetic watrels (now weve decided im not moving home to Jockland I am all for that one ;) )

We've become a nation of whinging, whittling, whining wastrels, with no backbone, no fortupitude, no moral fibre, and all they can do[12 PAGES OF RANTING DELETED BY MODS, AND AN ABULANCE HAS BEEN CALLED SO DRAGO CAN GET THE SUPPORT HE CLEARLY NEEDS]

Last edited:

dodgy

Legendary Member
Perspective.
UK has the fewest bank/public holidays than any other country in Europe (yes, I know, we're not in Europe).
There's plenty of scope to add another day, even a permanent annual public holiday, it doesn't have to be in the name of football.
And if you're retired, why should you care.

OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Veteran
It isn't about the number of holidays there are or not. It's a comment on the fact that because of an ultimately unimportant in the scale of things event, a game of football in this case, generates eager government acceptance and yet there are so many huge social issues that are important that get ignored. Climate, homelessness, poverty to name just three.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
It isn't about the number of holidays there are or not. It's a comment on the fact that because of an ultimately unimportant in the scale of things event, a game of football in this case, generates eager government acceptance and yet there are so many huge social issues that are important that get ignored. Climate, homelessness, poverty to name just three.
Seems to be a popularity contest for them these days and to hell with things that matter. The country getting opened up again and travel relaxed, meanwhile our main hospital Ninewells is currently opening up new covid wards again as the numbers are already rising.

dodgy

Legendary Member
But football is important to many, it isn't to me, I bloody despise the petty rivalry and tribalism. But it. is. still. popular.
We can moan in here as much as we want and claim that football isn't important, but it is 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom