Saddle - call it a day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maurice

Hi

In a couple weeks I'm going on a Dieppe - Nice trip on my Allez, around 900ish miles on the scenic route.

A few weeks ago I bought a new saddle as the original Allez saddle was giving my grief and felt too narrow. I got measured up in the shop and put down 60 quid on a titanium Alias (155mm). I've put around 250 miles on it since then and it still doesn't feel comfortable, bum aches after only a few miles.

I'm half tempted to take the SDG Bel Air saddle (aka sofa) off my mtb and put it on for the tour, but think it may be too soft. Or should I stick it out with the Alias?

Any thoughts?

walker

are you wearing padded shorts too?

gavintc

Guru
maurice said:
Hi

In a couple weeks I'm going on a Dieppe - Nice trip on my Allez, around 900ish miles on the scenic route.

A few weeks ago I bought a new saddle as the original Allez saddle was giving my grief and felt too narrow. I got measured up in the shop and put down 60 quid on a titanium Alias (155mm). I've put around 250 miles on it since then and it still doesn't feel comfortable, bum aches after only a few miles.

I'm half tempted to take the SDG Bel Air saddle (aka sofa) off my mtb and put it on for the tour, but think it may be too soft. Or should I stick it out with the Alias?

Any thoughts?

Most people here will tell you to stick with a harder saddle. However, it is your body. I suggest you put the comfy bum saddle on your road bike, take it out for a good long day of cycling and make your own decision.

domtyler

Über Member
Get yourself a Toupe, I have never heard a bad word said about it. Mine is incredibly comfortable.

llanberispass

Is the sit bones that are getting sore? I had one of these and had to take it back because my sit bones were in agony! Fortunately there was a defect in saddle (see below) so no problem getting money back.

The defect was that the saddle was not level side to side - one wide was 6mm higher than the other. I took it back to shop and every single saddle of same type had the defect.

gavintc

Guru
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:

But I agree with other comments - the Toupe is excellent. I had an Alias, but never really got on with it. when the stitching started to fray, it rubbed holes in my Assos bibs (not happy).

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Certainly saddles are a personal thing. I tried a brooks B17 after all the recommendations on here however after 20 mile rides it was a real pain down below :ohmy: and I did persist with it for over 1000 miles :smile: in an attempt to break it in.

The moment I sat on the toupe it was pure heaven :biggrin::smile::biggrin:

OP
OP
M

maurice

walker said:
are you wearing padded shorts too?

Yeah have been using padded bib shorts (Gore).

llanberispass, it is the sit bones that are complaining, I'll check up on the level tonight to see if it's uneven.

I could really do without splashing out on another saddle with my current bank balance, but then again I may regret not doing so if I'm getting constant grief during the tour.

Think I'll check out Toupe prices online/ebay and also give the mtb saddle a go, thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
M

maurice

Just to update my original query, been doing some research.

The saddle I was recommended was 155mm Alias, why my ass doesn't like. I remember when we did the fitting with the foam, I was neared the 140mm mark, but the guy doing the measuring thought 155 would be better for "slightly more upright riding" (although I'm not sure why - I like to use drops).

As the Toupe doesn't come in 155mm, I was looking at other saddles recommended on here in threads I found using the search. A Selle San Marco one was recommended in one, and cheap at ribble (15 quid). However looking at wiggles site, their saddle sizing guide at bottom of page suggests 155mm saddles are for fairly heavy riders?! *

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...D=5360036086&n=Selle San Marco SKN C40 Saddle

*This suprises me, as I'm 75kg and 5'11", Medium short size.

Anyone care to comment? Have I got a disproportionately large sized bum (I can take it) or have I got the wrong size saddle?

Thanks

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
maurice said:
Just to update my original query, been doing some research.

The saddle I was recommended was 155mm Alias, why my ass doesn't like. I remember when we did the fitting with the foam, I was neared the 140mm mark, but the guy doing the measuring thought 155 would be better for "slightly more upright riding" (although I'm not sure why - I like to use drops).

As the Toupe doesn't come in 155mm, I was looking at other saddles recommended on here in threads I found using the search. A Selle San Marco one was recommended in one, and cheap at ribble (15 quid). However looking at wiggles site, their saddle sizing guide at bottom of page suggests 155mm saddles are for fairly heavy riders?! *

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...D=5360036086&n=Selle San Marco SKN C40 Saddle

*This suprises me, as I'm 75kg and 5'11", Medium short size.

Anyone care to comment? Have I got a disproportionately large sized bum (I can take it) or have I got the wrong size saddle?

Thanks

If you were near the 140 mark on the sizing guide then I would have thought the 143 would have been the better fit than the 155. As my user name suggests I am no kate moss and ride more in the upright position and the 143 is perfect.

I think you were sold a lemon

OP
OP
M

maurice

Sorry I think I meant closer to 143 mark, I'm sure it was between the 155 and 143, but quite a bit closer to 143.

It would seem to make sense though. Just checked my mtb saddle's width, according to wiggle is 140mm - and I find that about right.

OP
OP
M

maurice

Well top marks to the LBS, they offered to swap the saddle without me having to ask. Paid the extra (minus a 10% discount for having bought my bike there) and got a Toupe.

So far it seems better, still getting a bit of sit-bone ache, but tbh after last weekend of 120 miles on the Alias my sit bones ache when sitting on my office chair so they need a bit of recovery time I think!

Top Bottom