Saddle Comfort!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickF

Hi all,

When my Cube Streamer arrived, the Cube RFR Saddle had been replaced by a Fizik Aliante Saddle with Manganese rails.

I was informed that this saddle is a very high quality (being new to road bikes, I'd never heard of the brand before!) and is race spec.

The problem is, after a relatively short cycle of 20 miles yesterday, my backside was absolutely killing me! I had some Endura 6 panel shorts on too!

I haven't ridden properly for a couple of years, so do you think I just need breaking in to get used to the feeling of the saddle, or start looing for another saddle to improve the comfort? I know that I've hardly given this saddle a chance yet, but I was just surprised by firm it feels!

Other than that, the bike is fantastic!

Many thanks,

Nick

wafflycat

Saddles are something I expect to change on a bike. Saddles are a very individual thing as regards comfort, as what is joyful comfort for one is like sitting on a razor for another. I think a saddle should be comfortable from the first time you use it, especially over long distances - as with the Terry saddles I use. I can be on the bike all day and I have no discomfort at all.

gbb

Legendary Member
Stick with it Nick...give it a few good rides before considering changing.
My Ponza saddle which is only moderate quality was uncomfortable at first. Perhaps a month in, it was much better. On the strength of that, i got another ponza saddle for my winter bike. I can ride for 6 hours with no particular discomfort.
I'm not suggesting you should get the same...we're all different shapes and sizes, what works for one won't neccessarily work for another.
Then...how do you know the next saddle you get will be any different ?...you could carry on all year changing saddles. Stick with it, give it a chance.

wafflycat

gbb said:
Stick with it Nick...give it a few good rides before considering changing.
My Ponza saddle which is only moderate quality was uncomfortable at first. Perhaps a month in, it was much better. On the strength of that, i got another ponza saddle for my winter bike. I can ride for 6 hours with no particular discomfort.
I'm not suggesting you should get the same...we're all different shapes and sizes, what works for one won't neccessarily work for another.
Then...how do you know the next saddle you get will be any different ?...you could carry on all year changing saddles. Stick with it, give it a chance.

Measurements..

OP
OP
NickF

NickF

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it!

I will give it time to 'bed in', as I still think my discomfort has been caused by not being used to riding after such a long lay off! The saddle is very well made and they are quite expensive to buy as replacements, so the saddle's credentials are hard to question!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
When I first sat on the bontrager saddle on my Trek I thought i would be changing it soon,it felt hard and uncomfortable.Now I think its great and wouldnt consider changing it .

I would definitely not rush into anything .

unless you didn't get what you paid for. if you wanted the original saddle and they changed it without telling you, it's a bit naughty.

OP
OP
NickF

NickF

trustysteed said:
unless you didn't get what you paid for. if you wanted the original saddle and they changed it without telling you, it's a bit naughty.

That's what I thought at first. The Cube saddle look better, but that's about all I know. I sat on one once and it felt fine.

The saddle that they've sent instead is supposed to be an upgrade! They fit the saddle they sent me to their all-carbon bikes.

postman

Legendary Member
I am still messing with mine.And i have had it 20 years.Tightened last week couple of months ago slackened it.
And know doubt i will alter it again hard soft hard soft.

Davidc

Guru
Try riding without the padding.

If I have padding (any saddle's the same) it kills me after about 2 hours.

If it doesn't improve try other saddles. Loads of comment on here if you search for threads using 'sadddles' as keyword.

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
I have a Fizik Aliante Saddle on my road bike, I forget what saddle it came with but I soon changed it for a Sella Italia SLK, the one with the gap in it. Didn't get on with that either.

The Aliante has probabably more padding/Gel in the centre than most Fizik saddles, wasn't keen at first but have now grown to like it, after 18 months.

The clip system will take either a rear light or a saddle pack.

bonj2

ask yourself what type of discomfort it is -
*too hard/too much pressure on sit bones? could possibly (but not definitely) be position related i.e. weight too far back/not stretched out enough, or could be that saddle is harder than your liking.
* chafing? can often be confused for too much pressure, especially if it manifests itself only after a lot of miles. try using cream like assos cream/sudocrem/conotrane
* dull/achy pain on sit bones? saddle might be too soft.
* pressure on central soft tissue? could be tilted too far back, hence the nose is too high and causing aggrevation, could be slid too far back which means you're sitting too far forward on it. Could also be too narrow, and you're not quite sitting right on the sit bones.
* 'sharpness' on thighs on pedal stroke? look at the profile of the saddle and how it drops off, you may want one with a profile that doesn't drop off quite so sharply. Might also be too wide.

OP
OP
NickF

NickF

Thanks again for the replies guys.

The pain is at the back of my thighs, but inside my legs. Kind of where my thighs join my buttocks. It doesn't feel too boney there, I can just feel muscle.

Is this something that will go away when I get used to it? Or should I stop gritting my teeth and see if my saddle requires adjustments?

Nick

bonj2

NickF said:
Thanks again for the replies guys.

The pain is at the back of my thighs, but inside my legs. Kind of where my thighs join my buttocks. It doesn't feel too boney there, I can just feel muscle.

Is this something that will go away when I get used to it? Or should I stop gritting my teeth and see if my saddle requires adjustments?

Nick

that's exactly what I mean by
"* 'sharpness' on thighs on pedal stroke? look at the profile of the saddle and how it drops off, you may want one with a profile that doesn't drop off quite so sharply. Might also be too wide. "

if it helps, I got that really badly with a specialized toupe (which i find otherwise comfortable) but don't get it with my new selle italia slr (and certainly not with my brooks).

Top Bottom