Saddle pack (bikepacking style) advice for small frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

The Nitto R10 is a definite possibility. I’ve got a slight doubt about the cost of the rack added to the cost of the bag starting to get a bit out of hand.

The other suggestion from @Dogtrousers to get a light rack as a support which could then take panniers at a later stage might be an option. The Tubus Fly or Tortec Ultralight would work.

Of course I’d still rather stick to a suitably sized seatpack without support, but that’s not looking promising at the moment.

contadino

Veteran
The Nitto R10 is a definite possibility. I’ve got a slight doubt about the cost of the rack added to the cost of the bag starting to get a bit out of hand.

The other suggestion from @Dogtrousers to get a light rack as a support which could then take panniers at a later stage might be an option. The Tubus Fly or Tortec Ultralight would work.

Of course I’d still rather stick to a suitably sized seatpack without support, but that’s not looking promising at the moment.

Just spotted this on the Alpkit site which might help and isn't too pricey...

https://alpkit.com/products/exo-rail-seat-pack-mounting-system

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

The Koala might fit the bill in terms of capacity and clearance, but a bit worried about it not being waterproof. We will be doing our first trips in the west of Scotland, so pretty much have to budget for heavy rain at any time.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

I think I’m slowly prevailing about just taking a small pannier on a minimalist rack. The lack of alternatives is pushing the argument in that direction.

rivers

How far can I go?
FB_IMG_1617227280354.jpg

I'm 5'2". My bike is a 47cm Felt F40x. The bag is a 12 litre altura vortex

PaulSB

Legendary Member
So, my wife wants to get a bikepacking style saddle pack for some short (one or two nights in b&b) trips that we are planning. She doesn’t want panniers or a traditional style saddle bag, but likes the restrap / apidura / ortlieb seatpacks. It needs about 8 litres of storage capacity.

The problem is that many of these seemed to be designed for larger frames and taller riders. At 5ft 3 inches and using an S size frame, some of them are ruled out. The Restrap 8l bag seems like it would just about have clearance but I’m not sure that these things are always as exact as claimed.

Any shorter riders (or partners of shorter riders) have any advice on this? As I mentioned above saddle bags are a total no-no and a small pannier would be an absolute last resort.

thanks

I am 5'6" so not much taller than your wife and understand the problem. I'm also very anal about the aesthetics of my bike and kit. In the past when I'm touring I've used panniers for longer trips and a small bag on a rack for shorter ones.

Last summer I bought the Restrap 8L for my son. It's a superb bit of kit, well designed and thought through. The holster prevents significant movement and it's easy to get things in and out of. I tried it on my bike before handing over to my lad and there was plenty of space.

I plan to get either this or the 14L version for myself.

Looks good on the bike as well!! 😉

Reactions: Dwn
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Thanks @PaulSB and @rivers. I can get the vortex bag from Amazon and the restrap one from Wiggle. Both are pretty good about returns so will order both to see which one fits best (and which one she prefers).

si_c

Guru
Might be a little late, but I'd suggest contacting Restrap to see whether they think clearance is likely to be an issue on the bike. I've found them to be excellent with customer service when I've contacted them in the past with questions/problems.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Might be a little late, but I'd suggest contacting Restrap to see whether they think clearance is likely to be an issue on the bike. I've found them to be excellent with customer service when I've contacted them in the past with questions/problems.
Restrap have a pretty good website and the 8 litre pack fit dimensions appear to be within the measurements of my wife’s bike. It’s just that any time I’ve seen pictures of them in the wild, they don’t seem to with quite as well as the website and marketing photos. I’ve ordered one (and an Althea vortex) this morning, so should know wheat works in a day or two.

HelenD123

Guru
If you go down the route of a lightweight rack you could just strap a dry bag to it. The Alpkit airlocks have loops for passing a strap through.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Tried both the Altura and the Restrap, and although both fitted (and well made), the margin for bumpy roads or bad packing just seemed a little too rushed. Have now ordered the Tortec lightweight rack. Thanks for all the advice

Good call on the minimalist rack I think.

I'm a great fan of the Tubus Fly - in fact I would have recommended it if I didn't think from my earlier viewing of the thread that the wife was dead set on bikepacking.

Mine is on its second bike - can take small panniers or even full size rears when needed for shopping. Only three fixing points - two bottom (obvs) and 1 at the front. Tiny on top, not a platform as such, but can take one (or even 2) 15 litre ortlieb drybag on top mounted sideways if you have the panniers on to help support it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Tried both the Altura and the Restrap, and although both fitted (and well made), the margin for bumpy roads or bad packing just seemed a little too rushed. Have now ordered the Tortec lightweight rack. Thanks for all the advice
You do need to pack the bit near the seat post with clothing or something that fills all the space right at that end to "keep the structure"

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Just for completeness - I had another go at fitting the Restrap 8l holster seat pack on my wife’s bike, and it worked much better this time when we did a trial pack. Just need decent weather and no ferry cancellations the week after next!

Top Bottom