Saddle too high?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There was a brand new looking Carrera TDF in the work bike shed this morning

Anyone think the owner should have bought a bike with a bigger frame, or is just me?

Attachments

• IMAG0233.jpg
    IMAG0233.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 334

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Not really as we are all different and have different riding styles ... he / she might have long legs and short arms or upper body, so a larger framed bike might be uncomfortable to ride.

I've seen a number of bikers with this sort of set up passing me (which is easy)

It's a total "Fail" on locking it up though :rolleyes:

Not really as we are all different and have different riding styles ... he / she might have long legs and short arms or upper body, so a larger framed bike might be uncomfortable to ride.

I've seen a number of bikers with this sort of set up passing me (which is easy)

It's a total "Fail" on locking it up though :rolleyes:

I don't lock mine up at all
biggrin.gif
, the cage door is security door card only with two cctv cameras inside and another 2 outside. The only purpose of the locks seems to be to stop someone else from knocking it over...

Interesting (and illuminating) to hear your comments though, I am quite used to seeing this kind of setup on mtb's, for manoeuvrability reasons, but not seen anything quite so extreme on a roadbike.

I want to meet the owner - I have a vision of a 6 ft 5 bloke with legs up to his armpits!

tweedsteed

The bike has a "modern geometry" (e.g. teeny weeny) frame so the seat tends to stick up in the air as it is. But that is a pretty extreme example...a bit like a reverse penny farthing.

yello

The saddle is a long way back too. I'd be interested to see the rider on the bike, that may answer some questions!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
They don't have short arms though, look at the size of that stem!

Bicycle

I think I set my bikes up slightly bizarrely, so I lose the right to comment here.

But... I like the fact that the bike in the pic has

1. Reflectors (which I always throw away cos I'm naughty and radical)

2. A bell (which I always fit).

I regret the demise of the bicycle bell. It's a wonderful antidote to the air-horn-type things, whistles and shouted obsceneties one sometimes hears from angry cyclists.

My fave roadbike has a Thunderbirds picture on its bell.. from when one of my children was about five....

As to saddle angle, am I the only one who sometimes tips the saddle forward a few degrees at the roadside during longer (90 mile+) rides? It's like getting a new backside just when you need one.

An OT question, is that a Reebok bike behind ? I never realsed they done anything other than full suspension bso's and that one actually looks like it has been ridden :wacko:

It certainly is, a solid bike with most of the made-of-cheese parts have already been replaced with low end SRAM bits....the levers, switchgear and drive train all changed inside a year. He paid 80quid for it and spent another £130 on it a couple of months ago, although I know it was ridden all through winter and his idea of a proper clean meant putting the mech's in the dishwasher (I am not joking) lol.

Chris S

Legendary Member
RE: "Anyone think the owner should have bought a bike with a bigger frame"

May be he was trying to save weight - my 24 inch MTB weighs about 4 pounds more than my 20 inch MTB.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If he has that smaller upper body he should still have gone for a bigger size and used a shorter stem.

With the saddle that high am i sure it is not doing the seatpost any good.

Top Bottom