Saddles- shape important?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've temporarily put a Specialized Toupe on my cross bike. Generally it seems OK, but once I get tired/ under pressure etc. I sometimes catch the arse of my shorts on the v-shaped cutout at the back when remounting.

Personally I think this is almost completely because I still have some way to go to get my remount practiced enough but I was wondering if a different saddle shape would help mitigate against my crapness some.

Like something shaped like this, for example. Not thinking about this saddle (a Fizik Arione) particularly, just the general shape.

15216fizik_s.jpg

Anyone have any preferences as to saddles for cross use?

mr-marty-martin

one thats comftorbl...simple as, san marco concor light racing team...

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
That video looks useful- I was looking for something like this earlier but didn't find anything like that. Ta.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I like my Toupe for road riding but for cross it does tenderize my arse somewhat. I'm going to change it anyway.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I changed the Toupe for some horrible yellow saddle I had. It looks terrible, but it works better. It's spongier and doesn't have the cutout at the back. It's a bit too grippy so I might swap it for a model with a shinier surface.

I think I'm finally getting somewhere with my remount. This week I've just been repeating the part up to getting my inside thigh on the saddle, jumping off, taking a couple of steps then getting back on the saddle again. Over and over. I've also been remounting and not going for the pedals- so I can get a feel of how much momentum I'm carrying through (if you see what I mean).

I can dismount from both sides now- not that that's very useful since I can only remount from one side. F*** it, I'm going to call it progress anyway.

Top Bottom