Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

I've taken a punt and gone for this from Bontrager:
Screenshot.png

The saddle that I have on my hybrid is a cheap Bontrager and I get on well with it. This one is more suitable for a road bike without being too aggressive. Should at least alleviate the numbness due to the cutout and I've gone for 155mm wide which I believe is a good size for me. Also a nice bonus is that I can clip my Ion Flare light to the underside with a £4 bracket. They have a no quibble 30 day return policy so if it does turn out to be a mistake it shouldn't be an expensive one.

Last edited:
not sure I like the look of that to be honest - would be interested in your feedback.
I must admit to being extremely doubtful about cut-outs, much preferring the selle royal (some of their things available in Decathlon) approach of just having a softer bit in the middle with no sharp edge.
How much was it?

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

not sure I like the look of that to be honest - would be interested in your feedback.
I must admit to being extremely doubtful about cut-outs, much preferring the selle royal (some of their things available in Decathlon) approach of just having a softer bit in the middle with no sharp edge.
How much was it?

£80. They do a cheaper version but it's 100 grams heavier. just a difference in rail material I think.

£80. They do a cheaper version but it's 100 grams heavier. just a difference in rail material I think.
mm - i'd save your money for beer on future "solutions" I think. I'm just on the edge of buying a new old stock thingy on the bay for £20. I know it's comfortable as I already have one.
Fair dos if you find it comfortable, but for the future I would measure the key dimensions and look for similar stuff.

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

I would measure the key dimensions and look for similar stuff.

Yeah, me too.....so I did.

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

Saddle arrived yesterday. I think it looks quite good and I really like the integration of the light mount.

Not sure about the feel yet. Some discomfort after an hour of indoor riding but not the worrying numbness that I had with the last saddle. Think I need to experiment with the position but it's most definitely an improvement already. Indoor training does seem to be a less comfortable experience so although only an hour I think it's a pretty good test of comfort.

I'm also riding in a different position than I'm used to having previously been riding a hybrid so there may be an element of my body getting used to it.

IMG_20201029_184837~2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for reporting back.
I would beware of the idea that you can "get used" to discomfort though - very old school and that way lies potential injury - i speak from experience. The saddle should be pretty damn comfortable from the off, though of course on a very long ride you may experience bum ache which may need to be relieved by a bit of standing up. But any pressure on the important bits, you need to adjust pronto - and if you can't sort it out get a different saddle.

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

Thanks for reporting back.
I would beware of the idea that you can "get used" to discomfort though - very old school and that way lies potential injury - i speak from experience. The saddle should be pretty damn comfortable from the off, though of course on a very long ride you may experience bum ache which may need to be relieved by a bit of standing up. But any pressure on the important bits, you need to adjust pronto - and if you can't sort it out get a different saddle.

Yes. What I meant though was that the different position may be putting pressure on areas that aren't used to it and so once they are used to it there may not be any discomfort (I don't know at this stage). It's certainly not painful but I don't intend on getting used to being uncomfortable. Like when I first started riding my hybrid. I was in more discomfort then than I was last night on my first ride with this saddle but relatively quickly my body got used to it and it became comfortable even on long rides. I need to work out if I have the saddle in the right set back and tilt. Once I've optimised that and given it a couple of weeks I should know whether it works for me.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Yes. What I meant though was that the different position may be putting pressure on areas that aren't used to it and so once they are used to it there may not be any discomfort (I don't know at this stage). It's certainly not painful but I don't intend on getting used to being uncomfortable. Like when I first started riding my hybrid. I was in more discomfort then than I was last night on my first ride with this saddle but relatively quickly my body got used to it and it became comfortable even on long rides. I need to work out if I have the saddle in the right set back and tilt. Once I've optimised that and given it a couple of weeks I should know whether it works for me.

When I bought a new seat, I recall that my butt felt pretty sore after that first ride. And when I sat on it for the second ride on it, it hurt a bit. But after that second ride, my butt acclimated and never felt sore again. If your new saddle causes your butt to feel sore after more than two or three rides, then that saddle is likely not for you. And remember, saddles come in different sizes. Mine comes in two widths and so before I bought it, the store that ordered it for me "sized" me with a special device that measures your sit bones. Make sure you get the correct size.

Top Bottom