Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dunlopdave

Hi all
Can anyone recomend a good saddle as I can't ride more than 30 miles,I'd like to do more but just can't sit down I've got a gel cover but it doesn't really help .

Blue

Legendary Member
A saddle is a very individual thing. Have you got a good LBS that will let you try a few.

Ditch the gel cover - too soft a saddle is a big no-no as the gel will wrinkle and start pinching after a few miles. It may sound wrong, but a good firm saddle is a big 'yes-yes' for longer rides.

You may get a lot of suggestions, but trial and error is the only way. For example, I found one of the most highly rated saddles of recent times so bad that I got rid of it asap.

For me, what's solved the problem is simply more time in the saddle, working up in stages. Used to be I couldn't ride into work (20-30 mins) without it hurting a first, now I can happily stay in the saddle for three to four hours witout feeling an ill effects, and it's the same saddle.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Yep it's a very personal choice, you need to try a few. I personally ride a Brooks B17 Narrow. Someone I ride long distances with swears by the San Marco Rolls saddle, others have saddles that I find painful just to look at.

I agree with everyone else though, ditch the gel cover. Worst thing ever.

I have tried a bundle of different saddles. I have ended up with a Madison "Flux", which is a virtual clone of a Charge "Spoon", the latter of which is highly recommended by magazines as a reasonably priced well designed saddle. Either should be about £25 or maybe a bit less on ebay if you shop arond.....

The Flux is by far the best saddle I have ever used. If it were stolen or broken I would certainly buy another to replace it.

But I would also say that building up time in the saddle helps enormously. Better to start off riding for a few minutes every day than trying to just ride one bumbuster 30 miler at the weekend, then wondering why your ar*e hurts for a week.....

the snail

Guru
Check the adjustment too, a small adjustment can make a big difference. I found longer rides are good for making adjustments - see where it hurts and see if tweaking the height or angle improves matters.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
I've got a Brooks B17. It's the most uncomfortable thing in the world. When I was 11 my mum made me wear thick wool trousers for school and it was raining so they got wet.....the wet wool trousers were more comfortable than the Brooks B17 saddle. When I took the trousers off - all was Ok. When I dismount my saddle, my arse has the same pain in it which lasts until.....the next time I get on my Brooks saddle and then the pain increases. Looks good though :-)

martint235

Dog on a bike
Check the adjustment too, a small adjustment can make a big difference. I found longer rides are good for making adjustments - see where it hurts and see if tweaking the height or angle improves matters.

+1. Before Brooks I always had my saddle angled upwards. My Brooks is spiritlevel straight. Again though, personal. No one on here can tell you which saddle to buy.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've got a Brooks B17. It's the most uncomfortable thing in the world. When I was 11 my mum made me wear thick wool trousers for school and it was raining so they got wet.....the wet wool trousers were more comfortable than the Brooks B17 saddle. When I took the trousers off - all was Ok. When I dismount my saddle, my arse has the same pain in it which lasts until.....the next time I get on my Brooks saddle and then the pain increases. Looks good though :-)

Are you seriously saying you bought a Brooks for "looks"??? You have to be a first!

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Well, for the box, no, the leather, no, the stuff I have to rub into it, no, to be accepted by older cyclists....oh I don't know. I know it cost me enough for me to stick it out and take the pain....Oh the pain....YYYYEEEEAAAAAARRGGH

PpPete

Legendary Member
Just keep trying different saddles until you find one that suits you.
Certainly try the Charge Spoon, and if you get numbness around the sit bones after a couple of hours, it may indicate that's too wide for you, so try looking for narrower things.
Personally I can only out up with some of the narrower offerings from Brooks....and that was something I discovered quite by accident having bought a n+1 off ebay that had one.

If you buy new saddles, be very careful not to scuff them, keep the original packaging - and you'll be able to resell again on ebay if they don't suit your particular shape.

BirdOnnaBike

I have a Brooks B17 on one bike and a Brooks B67 on t'other. Love them both, and have hated every other saddle I ever had. It is different for everyone, as others have said. If you pick something halfway decent that will hold more of its value if it has to be sold on, you are at least hedging your bets!

D

Deleted member 1258

I recently brought a Charge Spoon saddle from Wiggle.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-spoon-saddle-with-cromo-rails-2011/
A bugger to set up but very comfortable once sorted.
Saddle are personal, what suits one may not suit another, make sure your bike is well set up and try a few until you find one your comfortable with. if you are new to cycling it may take a while for your backside to harden up.
The saddle on the fixed that I replaced was one I had brought for me, it cost about a fiver 15 or 20 years ago and the fixed was about the 3rd or 4th bike it had been on, I struck lucky with it, it was comfortable from the start and was only replaced because it started to fall apart.

Top Bottom