safe cycling on london roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

motorbikeash

As a motorbike rider of some years, and a cyclist for many before that, im becoming increasingly concerned of the actions of cyclists on the roads of london.

first up, i should add that we all have a right to use the roads and we should all treat each other with respect, but also, we should treat cycling in london with respect.

my issue is this - why cant cyclists adhear to the highway code, jumping lights is stupid and dangerous. also if i see another person riding to work in their suit / skirt im going to scream.

the ammount of times i've nearly had an accident due to the actions of cyclists is depressing.

a final piece of advice, if you are a set of lights, and by some miracle you havent sped through with out looking, and you are stationary - then you should be on the kerb side of the road. NOT on the right hand side, so that when the lights are green you decide to drive across the traffic to get kerbside.

som3blok3

Pulling up at lights on the right hand side of the lane, we'll save that for motorcyclists :whistle: .

Adasta

also if i see another person riding to work in their suit / skirt im going to scream.

I don't see the problem here. The highway code says that a cyclist should wear:

appropriate clothes for cycling. Avoid clothes which may get tangled in the chain, or in a wheel or may obscure your lights

A suit fits into this category and so does a skirt if the person wearing it makes sure it won't get caught in the chain.

a final piece of advice, if you are a set of lights, and by some miracle you havent sped through with out looking, and you are stationary - then you should be on the kerb side of the road. NOT on the right hand side, so that when the lights are green you decide to drive across the traffic to get kerbside.

Taking primary position at a junction may be the safest option: it discourages cars (and motorbikes) behind from overtaking when it might be dangerous to do so (e.g. there is a pinch-point up ahead; there is a hazard such as a parked car which narrows the road, etc.).

A subsequent move across to the kerb on the left-hand side when appropriate would be completely fine. The cyclist should do a shoulder-check and signal that s/he is moving to the left before moving in the road; there is nothing wrong with the manoeuvre itself.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Here's a tip for motorcyclists.

When you are travelling in a bus lane and you see a cyclist ahead. Do not squeeze by the cyclists with inches to spare. We are not deaf and can hear you coming up behind us. Wait behind the cyclist until they move over so you can overtake safely. Stop being so impatient. It's inconsiderate behaviour and downright dangerous.

Tommi

my issue is this - why cant cyclists adhear to the highway code, jumping lights is stupid and dangerous.
For the same reason as {insert generalisation here} can't adhere to the highway code (e.g. why can't motorcyclists stay out of the ASL?) Some people are just like that.

Alternatively the bicycles they sell around here must be evil if they can turn responsible car drivers and motorcyclists to stupid and dangerous.

When there are cars indicating turning left in front or beside me? When after the lights there are cars parked next to the kerb? Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather take my position on the lane and go straight rather than weave in and out.

OP
OP
M

motorbikeash

By that logic it would be safe and legal to ride in a bikini and surf shorts...

all im after is a bit of common sense.

OP
OP
M

motorbikeash

- When there are cars indicating turning left in front or beside me? When after the lights there are cars parked next to the kerb?
not denying these arent correct decisons,, its just when cyclists insist on driving left across traffic to get to the right hand side.

catwoman

Here's a tip for motorcyclists.

When you are travelling in a bus lane and you see a cyclist ahead. Do not squeeze by the cyclists with inches to spare. We are not deaf and can hear you coming up behind us. Wait behind the cyclist until they move over so you can overtake safely. Stop being so impatient. It's inconsiderate behaviour and downright dangerous.

Ditto above, and also can motorcyclists stay out of the ASLs please?
For what its worth I just cannot see the benefit of allowing motorbikes into bus lanes either.

OP
OP
M

motorbikeash

listen, cyclists are guests on the roads of london, very badly dressed guests that have no respect for themselves and those around them.

by all means jump the lights but if you get hit, its your fault.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
As a motorbike rider of some years, and a cyclist for many before that, im becoming increasingly concerned of the actions of cyclists on the roads of london.

first up, i should add that we all have a right to use the roads and we should all treat each other with respect, but also, we should treat cycling in london with respect.

my issue is this - why cant cyclists adhear to the highway code, jumping lights is stupid and dangerous. also if i see another person riding to work in their suit / skirt im going to scream.

the ammount of times i've nearly had an accident due to the actions of cyclists is depressing.

Yawn.

Top Bottom