salt and sweat and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

I'm trying to cut down on my salt intake the last week because I pretty much pour it on (I open big macs and put salt on the burgers).

I had some gut wrenching cramps at first - which I guess is just the withdrawal.

However, the strangest thing is that after a strenous hilly ride on sunday, once the sweat had dried, the straps on my helmet straps were caked in salt. I've also noticed it on t-shirts after commuting as well.

Why if I'm taking in less salt, I'm outputting more?

got-to-get-fit

you put salt on your big mac.....whoooaaa. Thats a serious fondness for the white stuff.

Glad you decided to cut down.

maybe the salt you are seeing is your body purging itself of the excess salt that was in your body.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

got-to-get-fit said:
maybe the salt you are seeing is your body purging itself of the excess salt that was in your body.

I thought about that, but why would it not purge it steadily anyway?

My conclusion at this point is that too much salt makes you drink a disproportionate amount of water, which would dilute the sweat and not leave salt marks.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

johnnyh said:
you eat that stuff in the first place... whoooaaaa

I am a bad person but I am still a child of the universe and thus deserve succour.

Are you going to answer the salt thing now?

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

bonj said:
simple answer - there's not just one type of salt

ah, I see I have created a box that someone has decided to think outside of.

But then, why can I see salt, of whatever type for the first time? Do you get salt stains?

montage

God Almighty
Abitrary said:

But then, why can I see salt, of whatever type for the first time? Do you get salt stains?

I don't think it stains but it certainly increases fading.

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
You probably take in sufficient salt in what you eat so you'll always have some to sweat out.

I don't add salt to anything, even when cooking, and haven't done so for over 30 years but I still get the sweat stains on my caps and headgear. I go by the theory that there's enough added salt in foodstuffs without needing any more added.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Ashtrayhead said:
You probably take in sufficient salt in what you eat so you'll always have some to sweat out.

But why when I was taking at least twice the salt I am now, didn't I get salt cake everywhere?

I'm not worried about the health and moral issues of all this - I just want to understand the science in order to give me some logical closure on the matter.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Abitrary said:
But why when I was taking at least twice the salt I am now, didn't I get salt cake everywhere?

I'm not worried about the health and moral issues of all this - I just want to understand the science in order to give me some logical closure on the matter.

At a guess your body had probably adapted to the higher than natural salt levels you were chucking at it and so had reached some sort of equilibrium. Perhaps now that you have cut back your body is trying to get down to and stabilise at, normal levels by chucking out the excess.

dudi

it's just the weather... It's a tad warmer and drier, so you sweat more and it evaporates faster so the salt marks are more concentrated, and more noticable.

I get these salt tide lines, but not in the winter. Had some yesterday in fact.
In the summer I will get crusty straps and a fairly thick film of salt over parts of my face, chest and back after a long hard sweaty ride.

bonj2

Abitrary said:

sodium chlroride is your standard, but then there's potassium chloride, branch chain amino acids (are they a salt?), etc etc...

bonj2

Abitrary said:

I can't say I've ever noticed, no.
I don't ever purposefully add extra salt to food, though, except maybe a tiny little bit on rice sometimes and a tiny bit in cooking (casserole type dishes). it's worth remembering most foods naturally contain some type of salt - so if you eat a normal balanced diet then you get enough, both in quantity and variety, of salts through this.

Maybe you should ask Rhythm Thief if you can accompany him to one of his Saltoholics Anonymous meetings?

Top Bottom