same incident, same place, 2 days in a row. Also a question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ELL

Über Member
On my ride home both this evening and yesterday in the dark this happened to me.

Not what you may be thinking "another bad driver thread" but a good one. On my route home I have to use a road that has no road lights at all and is national speed limit. Its a wide-ish road and has a cycle lane that makes it not really wide enough for cars doing 60 if that makes sense. a little way down this road I have to turn right and its a filter island thing so have to come out of the cycle lane across the car lane and into island. I wear reflective gear have 2 lights both front and rear with 1 on constant 1 flashing and have near enough covered the bike in reflective tape but because of some real bad overtakes in day light along this stretch always feel a bit vulnerable in the dark. The last 2 night though have been really good both times in pitch black can see there is a car behind but not all that close, the hand goes out to signal right and I get flashed out by the car (1 car 1 WVM) they then held back and gave plenty of room. Both times I gave a thanks and it just made me happy that some people do think .

so now on to the question. even though the last 2 days have been good I do feel like i want more reflective on my arms to show my signals and was wondering what people use if the use anything I was just thinking of getting a couple of the wrist smack strap thing but wondered if there is anything else out there.

Thanks

Tynan

Veteran
I think if you ride well and confidently you get a good reaction from decent drivers

and i think people jumping red lights chips away at all good impressions the good cyclists make

garrilla

I wear elasticated 3m relfective bands, 1 above the elbow and one at the wrist.

Usually, the sleave of my top will have some reflective fabric/piping/print on too. As do my gloves.

You say about red lights but I think good road manners helps,unfortunately I let myself down a bit tonight near Cannon Street with a lorry backing up.All I can say was I was very tired and short on patience until I calmed myself down.

OP
OP
ELL

ELL

Über Member
I have reflective ribbing on my gloves and patches on the arms but I just don't think they are enough for the dark country roads so just want more. I will look into the 3M bands.

Must say as well that a more confidant stance and road positioning help no end on a commute in any weather.

garrilla

I used to worry that I couldn't be seen in the dark by motorists even though I was wearing lots of reflective material with good lights - measuring myself against what I could see and what I could see of other cyclists. The side street by house is pretty dark so I got my commuting gear on and went and stood outside down the lane while mrsG took a picture with a flash and then a picture without a flash but using the headlights of the car. I needn't have worried, I was bloody visible alright.

I think my strong point is riding in the dark.(Touchwood)

purplepolly

ELL said:
I have reflective ribbing on my gloves and patches on the arms but I just don't think they are enough for the dark country roads so just want more.

Being visible on dark unlit roads is easy because you've got the advantage of good contrast. I was riding down an unlit single track private road yesterday and could see a strip of reflective tape in the distance which turned out to be the back of a pedestrians collar. That was all he had to make himself visible but against the completely black background it was very,very obvious.

Being noticeable when you've got competition from street lights, and even worse low street lighting which doesn't illuminate the place properly, is far harder.

rh100

We got some of those armbands from Aldi with the flashing LED's. Look a bit noggy, but was in the dark the other week and the Mrs had one on her right arm - it really stood out.

wafflycat

wrap round reflective arm/ankle bands are very, very effective. Ok, so you look like a dork, but at least you are an unsquashed dork...

Have a pop into your local supermarket/el-cheapo-pound-shoppe and you'll pick some up at a very cheap price.

Top Bottom