Sandwiches from your childhood.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
From my childhood in the 50s..............I would come home from school, slap some butter on a slice of bread and wrap that around some pickled onions. Still like pickled onions but in moderation :smile:
Most of my 'mates' had sugar butties or conny-onny (condensed milk) butties............I never did get to like them.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I used to have condensed milk sandwiches when I was a kid.
A few people have mentioned crisp sandwiches, I like tomato and crisp sandwiches, the crisps added just before you eat the sandwich and should be plain crisps.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
a puree of hard boiled egg, tomato, and salad cream.

Mock crab.

Two slices of thick slice Mother's Pride with Kerrygold. Always Kerrygold.

Top sandwich treat as an eight-year-old.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4917711, member: 43827"]That reminds me of another old favourite: strong cheddar, sliced pickled onions and tomato ketchup.[/QUOTE]
How do I spell EUCK!!!.................tomato b***y ketchup on pickled onions.............you really need edumacating :smile:

[QUOTE 4917837, member: 43827"]Don't know if it counts as a sandwich but we used to have a bakers and a chip shop outside our secondary school. We would buy a loaf of unsliced bread from the bakers, cut it in half between two of us, scoop out the middle and get the chip shop to fill the hollows with chips. Finish the chips, with nice greasy bread crust to round off lunch.

Surprisingly none of us were overweight.[/QUOTE]
You would love bunny chow

Undercooked yorkshire pudding sandwiches with tons of best butter. Oh and minute steaks nom nom

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
[QUOTE 4917902, member: 43827"]I used to love spam fritters. Spam slices coated in batter and deep fried. Could also be used in a sandwich.

My mother would probably be convicted of endangering her childrens' health by today's standards - but her food was lovely.[/QUOTE]

You can even get them pre-prepared nowadays:
001.JPG

Proper traditional school dinners style spam fritters would always be round, with the spam carved from the end of a giant catering tube of the stuff, but these new fangled ones look just the right shape to put between a couple of slices of thickly buttered Warburtons white bread :hungry:

And while we're on the subject, here are a couple more spam-tastic mealtime suggestions:

001.JPG
001a.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom