Santander team next year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Rumours abounded today on Eurosport about the Spanish bank forming a team for next year, and have supposedly made enquiries about having Alberto Contador on board. Ex formula 1 driver Fernando Alonso is reputedly trying to put the team together. Anyone else heard anything?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
news of alonso's departure from f1 are a bit premature…

mr-marty-martin

wow, two shock news... alanso leaving f1 :s

they'll have some cash to spend tbh, and i dont think conti will be with lance next year so he could mov if the teams around him...

yello

I've read the same somewhere. How credible it is, I don't know.

My only thought was IF a new team was started at the end of the season, could they get the required accreditation/licencing/approval or whatever to be invited to the TdF next year? Can't see Contador being interested otherwise. Unless Alonso is going to acquire an existing team...

I thought that was one of the reasons that Armstrong backed into Astana rather than set up a new team, because he has (sorry, will have!) an up and running team.

yello

...not that simple. Teams are licensed. The drugs passport, for instance, also requires the team to have a history of testing. There's also a level of funding to prove. I don't know the ins and outs but there is certainly some time lag between starting up and being able to race pro-tour.

yello said:
...not that simple. Teams are licensed. The drugs passport, for instance, requires the team to have a history of testing. There's also a level of funding to prove. I don't know the ins and outs but there is certainly some time lag between starting up and being able to race pro-tour.
They could always buy out another team.

So he's leaving Liverpool to start a racing team :biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's not very summery round here at the mo. Let's do lunch anyway.

There'll be too many teams if we're not careful what with the likes of Barloworld not getting in, LPR etc.

Am I right in thinking that there are some eams in this tour who have neither a GC contender, a polka dot or a sprint jersey contender and who are a team of domestiques. They are a bit like the extras in The Truman Show.

I might be wrong as I have drink taken ( and am still taking!)

Abelour, since you ask.

mangaman

I think when Vino's suspension finishes he will insist on a return (he already has)

The TDF will not invite a team lead by Vino so the team will collapse after this year's TDF and Lance's retirement

Alberto will need a new team built around him

(Disclaimer - The rest is my opinion alone - not the forum / Admin etc)

Why not form a Spanish team with former Liberty Seguros boys like Alberto and other top Spanish sports stars who Fuentes admitted to have "helped". I don't know about Alonso but a few wealthy Spanish sportsmen ie some well known tennis players / footballers / athletes are available

To quote the man himself (needs a small amount of Spanish)

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/depo.../selectiva/elppordep/20060705elpepidep_23/Tes

Easily enough dosh to start a team - with a ready made team leader and team doctor

Top Bottom