Saracen Skyline vs Hewitt Cheviot - Loaded & Unloaded

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brian_k

Regular
I own a Skyline, used as a utility bike, being a classic 531 tourer it can handle fully loaded touring. The Skyline is ok, it fits, and I just get on with it, but if I ride something a bit lighter such as my Salsa Casseroll I notice that the Skyline feels relatively wooden or uninvolving when unloaded.

My original question was whether a Hewitt Cheviot would feel just the same as the Skyline when unloaded. I didn't receive any replies to that post.

UPDATE - July 2022
Well I've just got back from a eleven day 530 mile tour of France. The Skyline worked very well fully loaded, and I found it quite good in the handling and braking departments, full-up weight was 80-90lb (35-40kg).

I still don't know if building up a Cheviott (I have a new unbuilt frame) would result in a more lively unloaded bike, whilst still being able to handle the loaded stuff, but at least I know that the Skyline will make a good tourer/loaded-commuter/do-it-all bike.

Attachments

• 20220731_084124.jpg
    20220731_084124.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

brian_k

Regular
Salsa Casseroll - my wife thinks that it is a stupid name but I just smile because it is such a nice bike to ride ... I just wish it was 61cm and not 58cm. I like the B17 saddle set further back than a typical seatpost would allow with the STA, however this is fixed by a Velo-Orange Grand Cru.
20210717_202035.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

brian_k

Regular
I own a Skyline, used as a utility bike, being a classic 531 tourer it can handle fully loaded touring. I've previously toured on a Surly Disc Trucker which was fine, but now sold as I didn't expect to tour again. I ride the Skyline, it is ok, it fits, and just get on with it, but if I ride something a bit lighter such as my Salsa Casseroll I notice that the Skyline feels relatively wooden or uninvolving when unloaded.
My original question was whether a Hewitt Cheviot would feel just the same as the Skyline when unloaded. I didn't receive any replies to that post.

UPDATE - July 2022
Well I've just got back from a eleven day 530 mile tour of France. The Skyline worked very well fully loaded, and I found it quite good in the handling and braking departments, full-up weight was 80-90lb (35-40kg).

I still don't know if building up a Cheviott (I have a new unbuilt frame) would result in a more lively unloaded bike, whilst still being able to handle the loaded stuff, but at least I know that the Skyline will make a good tourer/loaded-commuter/do-it-all bike.

Anyone with a Hewitt Cheviot inclined to comment?

Top Bottom