Saw a very near miss female cyclist left hook lorry today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scouserinlondon

Saw a near accident today on a different part of the same junction to that where Catronia Patel was killed a couple of years ago by Oval.

This time it was a female cyclist on a commuter bike and a 3.5t box type van. Not sure whether he left hooked her or she'd gone up the inside but either way it was close. A bloke (her boyfriend perhaps) shouted and she'd managed to get onto the pavement in time. She was in the left lane of Camberwell new road heading straight on towards Vauxhall, driver was doing a left down towards clapham.

Just another near miss in the big bad city, but certainly gave me a shock. Think the driver was completely oblivious.

I sometimes think I'm a bit of a wuss for holding back in the traffic at junctions but today reminded me why I do.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
''Wuss'' is very often just a variant pronunciation of ''wise.''

If you resist the urge to get to the front, it's very rare that lights hold you up for more than one phase.

kishan

not good glad it was a near miss and not another sad loss of a cyclist, this is why at times i hate riding on roads i feel safer on the pavement its just too dangerious being on the road and the government need to sort something out soon as the road deaths are getting way out of hand.

mistral

Guru
I took time out last night to speak to a young lady on the Kings Road. I rarely engage with fellow cyclists, but I felt I had to say something.

In slow moving traffic three cars in front of me and her were indicating to turn left into a small side street. I was some way behing at this point, the first car went through, the lady in question went along inside the third and second cars and weaved her way in front (of the second, very slow, left turning car) and continued straight on. I passed her, got to a set of lights that turned amber as I went through. I stopped at the next lights, just a short distance, as I did a car hooted behind me and the same lady had followed me over but on red.

I pointed out to her what I'd seen and how I though she should be more careful. She was oblivious of the left hook near miss "where was that?" and denied she'd jumped the light. It was all very pleasant, but I was taken aback as she seemed in her own little world.

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

I'm cautious perhaps sometimes to the point of being a little hesitant but I'm happy with that. I see tens of cyclists every day diving headlong through narrow gaps just to get to the front, only then to bloody dawdle and get passed anyway. As I say in this case it could've been a left hook, but regardless it would have been much less likely to happen had she taken the lane.

Top Bottom