Say Heelo to a Luckeeee Man

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Poodling along this morning, 18miles done, 2.25 to go but last 1.5 of them on private roads so no traffic. Daydreaming as you do and thinking this isn't so bad, bit wet, took it very easy downhill and corners. But no Smidsy's, no close passes, in fact nothing but plenty of room and clear runs. I even had a momentary flash of 'maybe I shouldn't tempt fate by thinking like this', but dismissed that as I'm not superstitious.

OH BOY......feel some traffic behind me but they can only pass when offside clear due to my road position. Not full primary but on line of left hand car wheels. One car goes past, then a second, then I 'sense' something larger. Get a tiny glimpse of front of lorry out of corner of right eye. Then......thump.......right shoulder and elbow are bouncing along the side of the lorry. No idea how I managed to stay upright, all I can remember is thinking 'oh no, not my new bike'. I'm afraid I was too shaken to get his number, I had to pull over. Was expecting car behind to stop check I was ok, offer to be witness etc, but no-one showed the slightest interest.

Arm a bit sore but all else is ok, think I was lucky that it was at a fairly low speed and that the lorry had one of those plasticky tarpaulin type soft sides. Been over it in my head and know that it wasn't a case of not seeing me. Also know that the road there is fairly tight for a lorry even with no cyclists. Got the impression, not sure why, that he didn't even know he'd hit me. Think I only stayed upright due to having a bit of room between me and kerb. If he'd managed to sandwich me I think I'd have been stuffed. Think it'll be a nervy ride home tonight:biggrin:

Jeebus! Glad you're still with us MacB!

Origamist

Legendary Member
Glad you're OK. I doubt he had any idea he clipped you - he probably thought he was giving you a "generous" foot of overtaking space.

silverbow

I'm glad you are ok. My message is WELL DONE, GOOD CYCLING!:biggrin:

When I rode I motor cycle I did my best ever riding the day I nearly got killed.

You should think, great I saved my bacon. Still ride with the usual caution though :biggrin:

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
silverbow said:
I'm glad you are ok. My message is WELL DONE, GOOD CYCLING!:biggrin:

When I rode I motor cycle I did my best ever riding the day I nearly got killed.

You should think, great I saved my bacon. Still ride with the usual caution though :biggrin:

Thanks, but a lot of luck I think, certainly didn't feel in control/capable just plain scared:biggrin:

Keith Oates

Janner
Glad you're OK MacBludgeon, but that must have been one heck of a shock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bloody hell, sounds awful, well done on staying upright and not dying of shock on the spot. I think after something like that I'd be a mental mess, if not a physical one. Glad you're ok.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Similar thing happened to me last July with a bus (driver tried to beat me around a parked van) - except that I came off and lost a couple of inches of skin from my elbow. Good work for staying on.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Crikey, I was dropping bricks just reading that. Glad you and your bike are both OK.

Stupid blunt of a lorry driver, totally his fault. It does highlight how important regular look backs are and being aware of vehicles coming up behind you, especially large vehicles.

Top Bottom