Scalping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
This thread is for all you 'Wannabe Injuns'

Tell us about your scalps.

:tongue:

Just been to York with two lads from work, and it was scalp heaven. I must have got a dozen in and out on the Hull road.

Yee haaa.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Ok so I have no idea what that means:wacko:....but it sounds fun!:tongue:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I used to think that when the Peloton caught up with a breakaway rider there would be lots of sympathy and "well-done-hard-luck" towards the knackered soloist - then on one day they caught a guy within microphone range and the abuse and jeering was unbelievable - it shook my faith in the humanity of the peloton.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I 'did' a guy on a Scott CR1 last year - I was on my slicked MTB - he did not like it - took all sorts of risks to get away...I still kept up with him..... I also caught a guy on a Pearson Touche - he wasn't happy, but I said how nice they were and I was looking at fixed.......not a happy bunny was he.......

I can't "claim" much now I'm on the fixed road bike as it's up the chain, although I do pass everything - I don't get many points now..... only a few geared road bikes to dispatch on my route.....

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I love it. I pass many people on gears, on expensive road bikes.
Its when im in a chain gang and people on geared bikes are dropping off, but im sat spinning away.
I often race a guy to work(he works at freewheel) and im on my fixed, hes on some full carbon Trek road bike. He sort of keeps up, drops off near the end though.
I do go past alot of people though, on bikes and on my way to work, ill sit behind/pass cars, and they arent going slow either.
Fixed is good, go past people, then they go through their gears in an attempt to go off, but i either power off from them or sit on their back wheel then overtake and leave them behind.

fossyant

I am now a fixed convert...........for commuting, and lumpy routes it works well (not talking pan flat London here) - the big hills, then it's the war machines...........

But the Scalp points are low...... TBH my slicked MTB was faster in a tail wind.... the fixed is brill in strong head winds though.......

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
fossyant said:
I am now a fixed convert...........for commuting, and lumpy routes it works well (not talking pan flat London here) - the big hills, then it's the war machines...........

But the Scalp points are low...... TBH my slicked MTB was faster in a tail wind.... the fixed is brill in strong head winds though.......

Need to learn to spin;)
Fixed is what i ride now. I was in Derbyshire on it on sunday, and probably Derbyshire again this sunday if the person i go with is up for it.
Crich on a 72" fixed after just coming out of the cafe is abit long.

fossyant

I do spin, ...young padawan.....but with the force in these old legs.... upto 110 on the flat is OK at the moment...... PS not bad for 600 miles Fixed in the legs compared to 'zillions' of road bikes... "it will come, patience...." said Yoda........... or what ever......

Can do 160 down hill without the alarm bells dinging these days.......

Bman

Guru
Dont see many other cyclists on my commute due to the unsociable hours. If I do see them, they are going the wrong way to scalp :welcome:

But, the other day, a bloke on a road bike had to let me pass as he was turning left at a junction. A bit of an incline was coming up so I started giving it some power, the race was on....

He then turned the next right :tongue:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Bongman said:
the race was on....

He then turned the next right :laugh:

Had one of those the other day, should've made my move earlier. He only passed me because he was lucky with timing at a roundabout, I had to slow to give way to a car. Haven't seen the guy since. I've that simmering feeling that there's unfinished business to take care of. I should've just turned with him, scalped him and then rode home from wherever I ended up.

I was on commuter autopilot.

My knee's playing up at the moment, hope it improves before I meet him again.

I always bear a grudge if I'm scalped. Even if I was riding a Brompton at the time (no excuse), even if they are riding a recumbent and there's a dreadful headwind (similarly)

Even if they are riding an e-Bike (only a few hundred watts)

The only excuse I allow myself is if they jump a light (this has never happened).

fossyant said:
I do spin, ...young padawan.....but with the force in these old legs.... upto 110 on the flat is OK at the moment...... PS not bad for 600 miles Fixed in the legs compared to 'zillions' of road bikes... "it will come, patience...." said Yoda........... or what ever......

Can do 160 down hill without the alarm bells dinging these days.......

I've just copied/pasted this into Babelfish, and the translation was "eh?":biggrin:

gbb

Legendary Member
This subject always makes me think....however good or bad fast or slow you think you are on a bike (and at 51 with an average speed of 16mph ish over 40 miles..i dont think i'm that good)...i rarely get overtaken.

Sunday morning training ride groups i nearly always scalp...but theyre probably going for mileage rather than speed.

I scalp those same groups on the home run, having done 30 miles plus. A few weeks ago a group of three riders were on the home run, last few miles. I shot past each one...and each in turn tried to get on my wheel...and failed :biggrin:

On one of my routes, i used to see a couple (i assume), looked like triathletes on a training run. Both looked very fit..scalped them a few times, but only just :biggrin:

Another local guy on a Via Nirone, he's had me..i've had him (ooer missus). Always look forward to seeing him :biggrin:

On the recieving end...
A few years ago, on my country route, uphill...a guy swept up to me on a tourer (i'm red faced and trying hard on a roadbike)...chatted for 10 minutes....then swept off into the distance :biggrin: That made me realise my limitations.

Similar circumstances with a guy on a Cannondale..i couldnt live with his speed.

Scalped a couple on a hill once (they were on skinny tyred hybrids) and kept a good pace for several miles. Then i became aware someones behind me....its that guy. He's dumped his partner and chased me :biggrin:. 5 miles after i scalped him....the barsteward scalped me....then prompty turned back and went back for his partner :biggrin:
Fair play to him....he was dogged.

The ratio overall....probably 100 to 1 in my favour. But then, a good proportion of them are BOBs on MTBs and hybrids. Its still good fun, but not as satisfying and scalping a fellow road bike rider. Still, done a good few 'proper' cyclists...more than have done me :biggrin:

Top Bottom