scary as hell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasonmccullum

Über Member
I was doing my usual 7 mile ride, just gone down a large hill doing 35mph when i used the brakes (both), and heard a metal on metal sound. i coasted the last 4 miles to the bike shop where i bought the bike 2 week earlier.

they took the brakes apart and the metal rivet had started to come through the pads and were rubbing on the wheel.

The result was no brakes and damaged wheels.

Thank You to Action Bikes, they have contacted the manufactor and should have the bike back in 1 week with new brakes and wheels.

just the pads are a bad batch

jimboalee

Watch out for a Recall Action on those Brake Blocks.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
under the sales of goods act.
It is the seller who is resonsible and not the manufactour for defects, and thus i would have demanded on the spot that they replace the faulty parts and have my bike back up and running in a resonable time (as it's brakes and maybe a new rim, i would give them an hour and a bit), any time over that and i would take them to small claims court with photographic evidence (just say it, who cares if you don't, i doubt it will go to court) and state that the bike was not fit for purpose and was clearly dangerous not only to your self but to also others.

**cheers for the correction below, damn dyslexia gets ya sometimes.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Gaz - why wreck what sounds like a perfectly good relationship by throwing weight around? It just ain't worth it.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
if it was a good relationship they would have done it there and then. Frankly i know my rights as a customer, and if i'm sold a product that is not fit for purpose (such as the brakes don't work) then i am going to throw my weight around, not only becuase i was put in danger. but others may also be in danger due to some bad work somewhere along the line.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
In the long run jason is going to be better off not throwing his weight around provided they live up to their promise to replace the bits within a week I dont think that is unreasonable.

I would ask the manager for an accessory thrown in FOC to com pensate for the inconvenience.

OP
OP
jasonmccullum

jasonmccullum

Über Member
thanks for the advice.. i am happy to wait for the new part from the LBS. they have been really good and as long as they keep to within 1 week i don't mind. (i can always bike in the gym). TBH it is a little scary that all 4 pads were faulty.

The wheels are a complete right off. The LBS said if i had gone on a 50 miler they might have completely broken while i was riding.

HOWEVER ... i guess i am lucky and ride another day

OLDSHUNTER

:becool:Bikes under warranty hence reason bike shop passed it on probably so they can determine cause of fault.maybe You could ask shop real cause of defect as it would be good for us to know as to avoid them pads[if they are at fault]. Was there any rubbing or noise from brakes?.;):becool:

OP
OP
jasonmccullum

jasonmccullum

Über Member
the brakes started to less effective for around 5-7 miles. About 3 miles into this mornings ride, i started to get a metal on metal grinding noise from both the front and rear brakes. I stopped and had a look at the wheels and the black painted rims were now silver and very rought and pitted.

At this point i lost all braking and had to put my feet down to brake

gaz said:
and thus i would have demanded on the spot that they replace the faulty parts and have my bike back up and running in a resonable time (as it's brakes and maybe a new rim, i would give them an hour and a bit), any time over that and i would take them to small claims court with photographic evidence

LMAO ... You sound like a right little jumped up tosser

lazyfatgit

gaz said:
under the sales of goods act.
It is the seller who is resonsible and not the manufactour for defects, and thus i would have demanded on the spot that they replace the faulty parts and have my bike back up and running in a resonable time (as it's brakes and maybe a new rim, i would give them an hour and a bit), any time over that and i would take them to small claims court with photographic evidence (just say it, who cares if you don't, i doubt it will go to court) and state that the bike was not fit for purpose and was clearly dangerous not only to your self but to also others.

**cheers for the correction below, damn dyslexia gets ya sometimes.

you might want to look at the spelling in your sig line too if you're serious about promoting your services.

OP
OP
jasonmccullum

jasonmccullum

Über Member
tbh honest as long as the bike is sorted and i live to ride another day... thats all i care about... faulty goods are just part of life these days. its how they deal with it that matters

As i said my LBS has been great, so why cause a fuss