Scenic Railways in Switzerland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
If you like Switzerland, or trains, or mountains, you might like this.
Channel 263 on Sky (Travel Channel 2). On Sunday and Tuesdays (daytime and/or evenings) it shows Swiss trains, with lots of cab footage.

It is a channel that I imagine does not appear in many printed schedules, I found it by accident some time ago. Some people on here might like it.
Now where did I put my passport. ;)

Noodley

Speicher said:
Now where did I put my passport. ;)

Most likely in your anorak ;);)

domd1979

Veteran
A lot of continental locos have "steering wheel" type power controllers that you turn to apply power. Not sure what the reason behind the design is though - I'd speculate at it being to prevent piling the power on all in one go.

Most locos will also have a handbrake wheel somewhere in the cab that has the appearance of a large steering wheel. Modern locos have an electric parking brake though where you press a button and an electric motor winds the handbrake on. There have been one or two run away incidents over here after electric parking brakes didn't apply properly!!

Ashtrayhead said:
erm....I watched an episode once!;)

I did notice that some of the trains have steering wheels. Maybe someone can explain if they actually serve a purpose?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Haha old Swiss Railways journeys, remember watching those what must be about 10 years ago on the original travel channel!

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The films might be about 10 years old, but the mountains are still the same, and so are the routes. There is, I admit, one or two new tunnels, which are not mentionned, and the commentator veers from stating the obvious to giving too much detail about the loco numbers.

But the scenery is the same. :biggrin:

Top Bottom