Schoolchildren protest over climate change

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I always wonder what all these protesters are actually doing in their own personal lives on this issue.

tom73

Veteran
I was thinking the same thing Watching it on the news me and mrs 73 thought how many are driven to school and all the other after school stuff even when they live down the road. Over all I think it's great they are doing it and all power to them. Some schools will not be happy though and left thinking bang go's the league table. Can't help think isolation is going to be a bit full in the next few days.

I was thinking the same thing Watching it on the news me and mrs 73 thought how many are driven to school and all the other after school stuff even when they live down the road. Over all I think it's great they are doing it and all power to them. Some schools will not be happy though and left thinking bang go's the league table. Can't help think isolation is going to be a bit full in the next few days.
As someone who lives near a school and has kids that goes to another school, far fewer arrive in a car than you think.

tom73

Veteran
I live near two and year on year it get's worse. I also work in one even with the mass of parking we have on site it's never enough instead of dealing with it our SLT now want more. The only question or idea they are open to is which field to axe the left one or the right.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Good. I think during the 2010s the media wrecked the dialogue on global warming by using the phrase without much context to such an extent that it's a phrase that is meaningless to large parts of the population and all interest has been lost. Words can get overused in this way.

A new generation taking an interest is what is needed.

mudsticks

Veteran
My youngest was there.. Though technically a student not a schoolkid.

He was brought up to care about this stuff - and of course went through a phase of thinking that caring about the planet was a bit lame.
You've got to rebel a bit as a kid, yes??

But now is totally seeing that we are well overdue some real action.

And despairing at how apathetic and disengaged most supposed 'grown ups' are.

The protests, may or may not make a difference, but they feel that at least their voices are being heard.

Individuals can help by acting, and buying differently.

But it is governments, and big businesses that really need to lead on this one - and they will only do that with concerted pressure from their people, and customers.

Maybe the youngsters can inject some fresh energy into this, perhaps social media can make a useful difference??

A Downing Street spokeswoman said that, while it was important for young people to engage with issues like climate change, the disruption to planned lesson time was damaging for pupils.

The National Association of Head Teachers said it did not condone children missing school to take part in the action and that "nothing is more important than a child's education".
Oh for "§$%&/('s sakes.

This IS education you small minded, self-righteous pillocks. Everything a child does, everything they experience is 'education' for better or for worse. These comments sum up both the lack of care for the environment and small minded idiocy of the education system in one paragraph.

The real problem they have isn't missing lessons but young people showing initiative, thinking in way they haven't been told to think, and getting organised, and doing it successfully: the last thing people in charge want is that children learn to participate in democracy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom