Schrader/Presta Valves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Were a 4 bike family,3 with schraeder valves one with presta valves.Are the two interchangeable? if we buy new innertubes or are the holes in the wheel a different size?

The presta valve bike needs new innertubes so it would be good if they were all the same.

Cheers

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You can use presta valves on all rims. You could drill out the rims to take Schraeder though, but road rims might be too narrow! i would fit Presta on all your bikes, much easier.

and most pumps have a head that will work with both.

Mr Pig

Steve Austin said:
I would fit Presta on all your bikes, much easier.

I agree, except I would fit all Schrader! ;0) I just think they're easier to use but I guess it's personal. My bike has Presta valves and I've not bothered changing it, it's not that big a deal. As Steve says, Presta tubes will fit in a Schrader wheel.

e-rider

crappy member
presta valves work better with higher pressures - if you want one valve for all your bikes then presta is the only option as schraders will not fit presta holes because they are smaller in diameter.

02GF74

Über Member
+1 for presta

when pump is fitted to shraeder valve, the valve is open so the air inside the pump is already under pressure hence you have to work harder to push more air into the tyre that you would with a presta - not that I have any pumps to do shreader but use an large air compressor.

what are those little adapters that allow preta tubes to be fitted to a rim drilled out for shreader valves and where to buy a pair?

jimboalee

02GF74 said:
+1 for presta

when pump is fitted to shraeder valve, the valve is open so the air inside the pump is already under pressure hence you have to work harder to push more air into the tyre that you would with a presta - not that I have any pumps to do shreader but use an large air compressor.

what are those little adapters that allow preta tubes to be fitted to a rim drilled out for shreader valves and where to buy a pair?

They are a "Top hat" plastic insert with a smooth rounded inner edge.

A really GOOD LBS will have them.

DO NOT fit Presta tubes in a Schrader drilled rim without the Top Hat adaptors. The valve will be pushed out of the rubber.

tyred

Legendary Member
If you do drill out a presta rim to take a shrader valve, remove the rim tape first and make sure you have removed all traces of swarf and then check it again. Otherwise, stock up on patches as tiny metal chips can get trapped in any nook or cranny and cause puntures.

Top Bottom