Scotland touring: the one-minute midgie challenge.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
[QUOTE 5253057, member: 9609"]the only sure way is to adopt a pleasant expression then two coats of yacht varnish, they won't get through that when its fully dried.[/QUOTE]

:laugh:

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
My brother and I once tried to assemble bikes out of the back of the car in a forest on a dull evening and we ended up running round in circles and spraying insecticide randomly into the air, which had zero effect obviously. When camping I have found mosquito coils to be quite effective if you leave two or three burning around the tent.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I remember spending a week camping just outside Fort William. For the first five days, it was constant wind and rain. On day six, it stopped and the sun came out...

We were soon longing for the wind and rain to return.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Head net, long trousers or tights plus long sleeves should get your tent up. Once inside tent seal all openings and midges inside tend to rise to top of tent. I use a spray which gets them all but not enough to get me and stay inside unless there is a breeze.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
A quick burst of standard insecticide does the trick; just cover nose and mouth with a cloth for a couple of minutes.

Or stay in a bothy.

I must smell bad to midges, as they buzz around near me, but dont bite, when we used to climb in the summer time in scotland it use dto piss off my mates as they were attacked and driven mad by the midges, whereas i just had a halo of midges around me.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Q from ignorant southern softie.

Do midges bite, sting or just annoy you?

Or all of the above?

:huh:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I cover myself in Avon Skin-So-Soft. Midges don't like it. Sure, you get a few brave ones but not a huge amount.

I also have Bushman and Rid - on my last bottle of each now so I think that this will be my last summer with those handy products :cry:

PeteXXX

I cover myself in Avon Skin-So-Soft. Midges don't like it. Sure, you get a few brave ones but not a huge amount.

I also have Bushman and Rid - on my last bottle of each now so I think that this will be my last summer with those handy products :cry:
Bushman..
:smile:

PeteXXX

[QUOTE 5258071, member: 9609"]the female midge takes takes a minute amount of blood to assist her in breeding, so she does insert something through your skin, there is no sign of blood (as per the clegs). so yes I guess they are sort of biting, but there is no sting as per as wasp or bee. Some people are left with a little red mark but I think that is an allergic reaction as not everyone has any visible signs (I don't) So basically it is just annoying - extremely so, and unless you have ever endured a full on west highland midge attack it is very difficult to explain how bad it can be, it can be very very extreme.[/QUOTE]
So just avoid the female ones then?!

Top Bottom