Scotland: what's going to happen?

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Pro Tour Punditry, 15 Sep 2018.

?
  1. I would love to be a Jock

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. I have no clue, and you Jocks can all sod off

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. I do not have a TV

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Crackle

Crackle Squatter

The logical conclusion of that is for the Scottish parliament to have more powers and more say in the affairs of Westminster, this I'm all in favour of.

So you've not met any extreme Scottish Nationalists. I have, they exist.

I should add I'm not against Scottish independence, I hope, for my own selfish reasons, that it doesn't occur and that if it does, Scots and Scotland are not disadvantaged by it.

Last edited: 21 Jun 2019
    Diogenes likes this.
  2. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

I just see it as daftness. I've lived and worked all over the UK and I continue to work in both Scotland and England. The idea of putting barriers - physical or financial - between people is just a nonsense. In my experience the loudest and most strident nationalists are the least travelled - be they Britnats or Scotnats.

Milkfloat, Duffy and srw like this.
  3. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

You are missing the word "currently". Scottish nationalism is like any nationalism - it puts notional separateness at the top of the list of desirable outcomes and then adopts the most convenient other policies to get there. It wasn't that long ago that the SNP were the Tartan Tories and had policies to match.

In 1975, it was leftwingers who flew the flag for a nationalistic view of Britain outside the EEC (see: Jeremy Corbyn and chums). Now it's right-wingers.

Diogenes likes this.
  4. srw

Speaking from Germany as you are that comes across as quite naive, both currently and historically.

In my lifetime, East Germany, Poland, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Romania, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia and both its constituent countries, all seven countries of the former Yugoslavia, Hungary, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova. Plus Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.

All have achieved a measure of independence, ranging from a little to a lot. It's taken a number of forms and some have been more successful than others. "Independence" isn't an either/or state - not even North Korea, which is the most independent country in the world, can really say that it is the master of its own destiny - it's a continuum.

We used to have an Andy in Germany on here who was a naive romantic. It was easy to wind him up by pointing out that the nation state in control of its own borders and future is a creation of the 20th century. And as a concept it died in the 20th century too.

5. I was speaking in the context of Scotland here, although I appreciate it isn't obvious from my original sentence. I've been watching and listening a lot to the Scotixsh indy movement and the campaigns, and within that context, the majority of very right wing types are the ones in the British Nationalist camp (including the BNP, UKIP and others)

Obviously that doesn't mean everyone supporting the union is a right wing nutter, there are honourable reasons to support the union.

East Germany never became independent: The GDR Dissolved itself, and became a part of a reunified Germany after elections returned parties supporting this, on October the 3rd 1990. There are some people who think it would have been better for East Germany to be independent of the west: I've heard some good reasons, others not so much.

Agreed on all counts, but -and it may just be good PR on the part of the indy movement- Scotland appears to us to be a very open European country, especially compared to England at the moment.

Do you mean "Andy in Sig"? Ironically I've applied for a job in the same town as he comes from.

I don't entirely agree on that, but it would mean moving the whole of the UK to a more federal system which Westminster will never allow.

Of course they do. Ironically they prove that Scotland is no different from any other country: we all have our right wing extremists...

6. srw

Okay, knock one off my long list of countries that have increased their level of independence - although there is a strong case to be made that the Laender which used to be part of the DDR are more independent as part of a federal Germany than they ever were under the watchful eye of Uncle Russia.

Andy in Germany likes this.
  7. cookiemonster

cookiemonster Guru

8. oldwheels

oldwheels Veteran

Nobody seems able to answer the obvious question. If Scotland is such a subsidy junky and a drain on English resources why are they so keen to forbid independence?

Goggs, Slick, C R and 1 other person like this.
  9. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

Well, for a start they'd have to find locations on English soil to replace Coulport and Faslane. That might have something to do with it.

Goggs and Andy in Germany like this.
  10. Edwardoka

Edwardoka Facetious Waffler

Somewhere far away from London of course. Can't have that nasty stuff near our civilised types. Mabye Newcastle or somewhere in Wales. Ghastly. Can you imagine?? /s

Goggs and Andy in Germany like this.
  11. Crackle

Crackle Squatter

Keza Dugdale reckons Corbyn (Dallas) will do a deal with the SNP over indieref II in exchange for propping up his government if it came to that.

12. Eddy

Eddy Guru

13. Blue Hills

Blue Hills ^

Er banned?

What other films have they "banned" as in declined to show?

What confectionery products have they "banned"?

14. Eddy

Eddy Guru

Not banned just rubbish so Cineworld decided not to show it, Cybernats going mental. :laugh:

Slick likes this.
  15. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire

They're getting more publicity for the film this way.

Eddy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice