Votes: 13 31.0%
  • I have no clue, and you Jocks can all sod off

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I do not have a TV

Votes: 12 28.6%

• Total voters

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
How much of our biggest industries cash raised actually stays in our country.

Oil and gas is a global market with lots of different fingers in the pie, and whilst I'm very proud of hydro and wind, it wouldn't be possible without lots of foreign investment, salmon farming alone is worth over a billion alone but again not a lot of sites exist that are not owned by Norwegians or somesuch.

I was thinking of the tax revenues that Westminster have been peeing up against walls for the past 45 years.

Duffy

It’s either a Westminster led conspiracy to keep the Scottish masses downtrodden and disheartened.........or it could just be a poor film.

I don’t know as I’ve not seen it!

:smile:

The Government Expenditure and Revenue Scotland (Gers) estimated the country spent £12.6bn more on public services than it raised in taxes.

This is lower than the £13.8bn deficit estimated for the previous year, and is equivalent to 7% of the country's GDP.

The UK as a whole has a deficit of £23.5bn - or 1.1% of its GDP.

The annual Gers figures, which have become a key battleground in the independence debate, are compiled by Scottish government statisticians free of political interference.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49413345?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scotland/scotland_politics&link_location=live-reporting-story

Brexit is very likely to increase demands for another Indy referendum but these figures indicate an independent Scotland would have to either significantly increase taxation or impose heavy cuts on public services. It would be nice if the forthcoming debate could include politicians being honest and open about how they will approach these challenges. Sadly, I think we'll see, for the third time in a row, more lies and unicorns.

But Scotland would not have to pay for English infrastructure which makes up a significant part of notional expenditure. I filleted properly GERS shows Scotland is actually very well placed financially.

Rusty Nails

We remember
But Scotland would not have to pay for English infrastructure which makes up a significant part of notional expenditure. I filleted properly GERS shows Scotland is actually very well placed financially.
They pay a portion of the UK infrastructure, not for "English infrastructure". Do you know how much notional expenditure they pay that they would not have to pay for an independent Scottish infrastructure?

As with the other, larger "independence" debate going on at the moment Unicorns are thriving.

Goggs

Veteran
Where's the GERS figures for England?

They pay a portion of the UK infrastructure, not for "English infrastructure". Do you know how much notional expenditure they pay that they would not have to pay for an independent Scottish infrastructure?

As with the other, larger "independence" debate going on at the moment Unicorns are thriving.
Others may correct me here, but my memory is that Thameslink rebuilding and HS2 were both in there somewhere, on the rather spurious basis that these would 'Benefit Scotland'.

If that's the case it could be argued that rather like Scotland is funding England, instead of the other way around.

Either way, figures put together in London (originally) with the express purpose of making it look like Scotland is a basket case wouldn't seem to be a reliable way of seeing how Scotland may choose to fund itself after it is independent.

If the EU worked like the UK, this would mean the UKgov had no access to figures for its own economy, but had to rely entirely on figures from Brussels.

The figures for GERS are produced using figures from the UK treasury dept. who are not necessarily neutral. Figures for purely English projects such as infrastructure in the money sink that is London include a contribution from Scotland. Railway lines or projected railway in England are partly paid by Scotland. How about ferry contracts with no ferries and vastly expensive nuclear weapons which cannot ever be used. Taxation which is paid in London is not included as revenue from Scotland. To go back a bit the figures for oil revenue from Scottish waters was split as part Scottish and part Unknown Source so not Scottish then etc. It seems pointless to argue about all this anyway as I believe what I believe and you believe different. Never the twain shall meet.

Others may correct me here, but my memory is that Thameslink rebuilding and HS2 were both in there somewhere, on the rather spurious basis that these would 'Benefit Scotland'.

If that's the case it could be argued that rather like Scotland is funding England, instead of the other way around.

Either way, figures put together in London (originally) with the express purpose of making it look like Scotland is a basket case wouldn't seem to be a reliable way of seeing how Scotland may choose to fund itself after it is independent.

If the EU worked like the UK, this would mean the UKgov had no access to figures for its own economy, but had to rely entirely on figures from Brussels.

?

Since devolution, it has been compiled by economists and statisticians in the Office of the Chief Economic Adviser of the Scottish Government.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_Expenditure_and_Revenue_Scotland#targetText=Government Expenditure and Revenue Scotland,part of the United Kingdom.&targetText=Since devolution, it has been,Adviser of the Scottish Government.

Top Bottom