Scotland yet again?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samid

Veteran
Ok call me crazy :biggrin: but I'm thinking of going to Scotland again next June, and need ideas for the trip. My starting point will be Edinburgh, but unlike past years (when I definitely wanted to cycle from the start) this time I'm thinking of maybe taking a train to Inverness and cycling from there north/west (I believe somebody suggested doing just that in one of my past threads). For reference, 2 years ago I "did" the Outer Hebrides, and this summer - Mull, Skye and the surrounding area, so next year I want to go further north. And I would like to take smaller/back roads whenever possible. But I don't have any more detailed plans at the moment - please share your thoughts and advice.

Danny

Legendary Member
This summer I attempted to do a circular ride starting in Inverness. The aim to was to go along the A836, via the Black Isle, to the North West coast, and then along the A838 up to Durness, Tongue, and eventually back to Inverness.

Unfortunately my bike broke down completely just outside Tongue, but I very much enjoyed the ride up until then. There are few minor roads - or ones that we could find - but the A836 was virtually traffic free, and the A838 was reasonably quiet considering it was mid August.

OP
OP
samid

samid

Veteran
I might be able to help, but how many days do you have for the tour and how many miles per day do you like to cover ?
I'm thinking about 2 weeks, 50 to 80 miles per day. Also, need not be a loop - I have a friend that could pick me up from wherever I get to in the end.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hi Samid :hello: , how are you keeping?

You appear addicted to Scottish cycle touring! :whistle: Not that that's a bad thing in any way, of course ;)

... depending on whether you want to stay on the mainland only - you could do a slight detour by ferry and cycle round some of the Orkney islands for a day or two. Lots of pre-historic and historic sites, and cliffs with seabirds (Shetland is even better for birds).
I'll have a look at maps later and try to link up my favourite roads and places, the north and northwest coasts and mountains are (some of) my favourite part(s) of Scotland.

T

Good on you Samid. I've ridden about 3 tours in NW scotland now and taken in many of the roads, and I have a good friend who has done the rest ie caithness. Are you prepared to go off road - if so then a whole new world of possibilities will open up! If not, here are a few that I've done recently.

Rogart - Bonar Bridge - Aultguish Inn (this leg had some off road on it) - Gairloch - Melvaig lighthouse - Torridon - Applecross - Plockton - Train back to inverness (more west coast than far north west)

Inverness - Tain - Bonar Bridge - Lochinver - Richonich - Lairg - Inverness

Culrain - Reiff (summer isles) - Kylesku - Durness - Tongue - Culrain

I also did a highlands and islands tour last year which lasted two weeks. It went:

Pitlochry - Newtonmore - Loch Awe - Tarbert - Islay - Jura - Colonsay - Oban - Tobermoray - Fort William - Inverness

Each of these lasted a week, I know you want to go for longer, but it will help you to identify some places to join up on a map. Google 'Scottish independent hostels' for interesting places to stay.

OP
OP
samid

samid

Veteran
Hi Samid :hello: , how are you keeping?

You appear addicted to Scottish cycle touring! :whistle: Not that that's a bad thing in any way, of course ;)

... depending on whether you want to stay on the mainland only - you could do a slight detour by ferry and cycle round some of the Orkney islands for a day or two. Lots of pre-historic and historic sites, and cliffs with seabirds (Shetland is even better for birds).
I'll have a look at maps later and try to link up my favourite roads and places, the north and northwest coasts and mountains are (some of) my favourite part(s) of Scotland.

T
Hi Telemark, yes Scottish cycle touring became a kind of an addiction with me - but really, Scotland seems the ideal place for that - beautiful scenery, no crowds, wild camping allowed almost anywhere, whisky and beer, long summer days, nice people - what else to wish for? :smile:

Re Orkney islands - thanks for the tip, actually I think I might go there for a couple of days separately (not during my bike tour), with that friend of mine who lives in Edinburgh.

OP
OP
samid

samid

Veteran
Good on you Samid. I've ridden about 3 tours in NW scotland now and taken in many of the roads, and I have a good friend who has done the rest ie caithness. Are you prepared to go off road - if so then a whole new world of possibilities will open up! If not, here are a few that I've done recently.

Thanks for the suggestions Kirstie, as far as offroading goes - not really, as my bike is not very offroad-worthy:
DSC_7962.jpg

re Orkney. It's worth going in May and finishing up at traditional music festival at Stromness.
If you get the ferry from John O'Groats to Burwick or Gills Bay to St Margarets Hope and then make your way over the Churchill Barriers up to Kirkwall (don't miss the Italian Chapel), You can then go on to some of the outer islands (but this takes time as there are not necessarily ferries to and from each of the islands every day). After that you can either take the most northerly road to Stromness, or the southerly road to Houton and then across to Hoy where there is a fascinating museum at Lyness, dedicated to Orkneys strategic importance in wartime. It tells you all about Scapa Flow. The Stones of Stennes, Skara Bray, the Ring of Brodgar and Maes Howe are all a short cycle from Stromness. It's quite nice to potter around these places during the day and then go to the festival concerts at night.
If you go to the festival, it's worth getting tickets in advance as the popular shows sell out. One act which should not be missed is The Chair, Orkneys best.
Think I will be back there next year.

OP
OP
samid

samid

Veteran
Thanks for the Stormness festival pointer, furball. Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be able to go earlier than June...

(Looked up The Chair on the 'net and found some excellent music indeed, thanks for that!)

Top Bottom