Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samid

Veteran
Hi guys and gals,

With the days getting short dark and cold here in Toronto, it's time to think of something pleasant. Next summer I want to go touring in Scotland, and would like your advice. I'm thinking of going sometime in July, start and end in Edinburgh, generally going North from there, and spend around 10 days (give or take a day or two) on the road, wild camping mostly, doing around 100km/day. I would appreciate your thoughts on:
- general route;
- must see places/locations;
- best time to go.

Thanks.

Mmm Scotland... it's either stunningly beautiful or miserable as sin, depending on the weather, which changes about every 20 minutes. Take good wet weather gear.
IMHO the best scenery and best riding is along the north-west coast, north from Skye, to Torridon, Ullapool and beyond.
With limited time, I'd be inclined to take a train/plane to Inverness and start from there.
If you are camping, Midgies (mini-mossies) are a major concern. May or August-Sept are better times if you want to avoid them

hubbike

I have lived in Scotland for the last two and a half years, and regularly take weekends cycling with a tent.

Scotland offers these: lochs (Scottish for lakes), glens (Scottish for valleys), bealachs (Scottish for cols or passes), mountains (hills), history (standing stones, castles, etc), wildlife, coastlines, islands and cute villages, pubs, whiskey, remote bothies (a bothy is a basic mountain hut with an open door where you can stay for free), and bagpipers.

Loch Lomond is very pretty. Loch Ness is not.

Glen Coe is dramatic, atmospheric and Clachaig Inn is my second favorite pub in Scotland.

For mountains, Cullins of Skye, or hills in Torridon are my favorites, perhaps try cycling over the Bealach na Ba an alpine-esque pass. Sligachan Inn on
Skye is my favorite pub.

For wildlife Isle of Mull has whales, dolphins, seals, sea eagles, ospreys, golden eagles and pine martins and red squirrels. Also on Mull: Duart Castle near Craignure and Standing Circles near Tobermoray but you'll need to get off and walk.

Off road opportunities are huge, you can cross Scotland by bike only crossing one road. Perhaps a section of the west highland way?

Best beach is Sanna Bay on Ardnamuchan, also the furthest point west on the UK mainland.

Best whiskey is Dalwhinnie, also a cute village; second place is Jura also a beautiful island.

Ben Alder Cottage is my favorite bothy but it requires MTB to get to. Two bothies off the West Highland Way on the side of Loch Lomond could be got at on a tourer I reckon.

A true gentleman is someone who can play the bagpipes but doesn’t.

Alves

I'd recommend a visit to the West Coast and the Islands.
You can do a trip visiting Edinburgh and then taking the train North to Inverness and West by bike to Ullapool where you'd get a decent taste of the highlands en route. Then double back to pick up the A832 and follow this along the coast to Kinlochewe and then west to Shieldaig and take in the Bealach na Ba road via Applecross, lovely coastal views and then down to Kyle of Lochalsh, allowing you to explore Skye a bit as time allows and still leave with a days ride back to Inverness and then a train again back to Edinburgh.
I think you'd get the best bits of Scotland this way in a short trip. There are nice rides out of Edinburgh into Fife, Perthshire and the central highlands but they are not as spectacular and the roads will be busier.
Using trains will get you to where it gets interesting. The downside is planning as our trains only allow 2 bikes per train and this requires some booking.
Post again please if you have more specific queries.
Do please come, it's a great place and a bike trip is the best way to see a chunk of it.

Alves said:
The downside is planning as our trains only allow 2 bikes per train and this requires some booking.

Perth is the only place where I've been refused on to a train as there wasn't enough bike space but I've no real experience of train and bike except for the central belt and trains within it can usually carry 4 or more and I've see more and never had to book.

dawesboz

Scotland is indeed an amazing location for touring, but to refine your experience a few tips:

Save yourself the hassle of wondering where the best place is to go, just get to the islands, particularly the Outer Hebrides and Orkney. If you plan to head to the outer hebs, look up " the gatliff trust" for great touring bothys.

On the mainland, go to Gairloch, Wester Ross, Assynt and anywhere else on the far north west.

midges are easily avoided if you keep a couple of natural elements on side ... wind and salt water. so plan your route to include as many coastal camps as possible. If you can't get to the coast, get to a bothy or youth hostel.

Rain?? be prepared.

best time? Spring ( or before school summer holidays in july)

East Coast? your on the wrong coast.

Essential Kit? Gore tex, ( yes even in july.) a camera, a sense of humour, avon skin so soft moisturiser ( trust me ).

Things to avoid ? Skye ( superb for walking and climbing, better places are available for cycling ), the clachaig pub in glencoe ( full of numptys, go to the kings house for a pint ), Edinburgh, (expensive tourist trap,)

Dormouse

On average May is the driest month. NW Highlands is my favourite area so I would suggest starting from Inverness or one of the railway stations on the way to Kyle of Lochalsh. Be prepared for rain and midges if you come in the summer!

OP
OP
samid

samid

Veteran
Thanks for all the great advice guys. It'll take me some time to peruse all the suggestions, then I'll probably be back with more questions. May especially sounds tempting as it is two months closer to now than July :biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I would agree with most of dawesboz comments except the last, from a cycling point of view Edinburgh has a lot to offer. It is easy to get round by bike, stay at a camp site and cycle in, the whole town is only 15 minutes away and there is loads to see and do for free.

On the subject of camping, I see above that you are wanting to camp off site, well the good news is that in Scotland this is perfectly legal see here for more info.

OP
OP
samid

samid

Veteran
Re Edinburgh - I have a good friend living there, so that makes the choice of the starting point for my tour a no-brainer.

And yes, I know that off site camping in Scotland is allowed, that is one of the many reasons why I want to go there.

kyuss

Veteran
dawesboz said:
On the mainland, go to Gairloch, Wester Ross...

I used to go on holiday there every year when I was a kid. ;) A friend of the family lives in the old schoolhouse on the road out to Melvaig.

I agree with what's been said already. Edinburgh is a decent cycling city (though the roads are in a bit of a state) and it's easy enough to explore a bit of the borders from here in a day and still be back in time for tea.

But for real scenery you have to go up north, so getting the train to Inverness and heading towards Ullapool would be the option I'd take. The west coast and Skye are absolutely stunning and can't be missed. The east coast, is dull with a capital D.

Top Bottom